Axolotl's poop has white?!

HaveACrouton

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
BaconSteak
So I have 3 axolotls that share a tank. 2 are new so I'm not quite sure which axolotl it's coming from exactly but there has been white poop in the tank, but when i take it out it breaks up and is brown inside, I don't know if that's something to be worried about at all or not??

I had a similar experience with white poo when I first got my axolotls, I put it down to fat in their diet, because the guy I got them off said he would feed them beef heart and bits of chicken and ham.
I could be wrong, just seemed to make sense, as they have been on earthworms for three years and their poo is now always brown and healthy looking.

I feed them frozen bloodworms, and feeder minnows.. normally white cloud mountain minnows.

I'd try to get nightcrawlers as a staple feeder.

My axolotl has eaten guppies, but they are never intended as anything more than a treat. White cloud are a good choice for tankmates, but the problem with small fish is that you have a lot of matter on them that isn't necessarily beneficial to the axolotl and will just be pooped out and unused - leaving them having expended a lot of energy to digest something that wasn't very useful to them.

I breed the guppies myself and only introduce 1/2 size ones (between the babies and adults in size) - bigger fish can cause impaction. White cloud aren't too difficult to breed, but a bit more so than guppies. Guppies also tend to prefer warmer water - so when I move them from their normally 80F breeder to the 67F axolotl tank, their metabolism slows down and they tend to grow more slowly - allowing them to remain a safely eat-able size for longer than a fish that metabolises well in colder water.

Just an idea. I don't think they are worth much as feeders, they're just fun to watch, don't bother the axolotl, and won't hurt it when eaten. And it offsets overcrowding in the breeder - everyone's happy !

Feeder shrimp are also nice if you like having something else live in the tank. Again - they are a treat, not a complete diet.

Nightcrawlers are great and provide a lot of nutrition without much that is difficult to digest since they're soft-bodied and don't have hard shells like some other types of worm (which can cause impaction).

Hikari sinking massivore pellets are also great for them, are are trout / salmon pellets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back