Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

B lincolini-avalable?

P

paris

here is the link for the photo-very pretty-but im guessing its about as hard to get as the majority of bolitoglossas out there...http://www.globalherp.com/a21b0200.jpg
this site currently has no amphibs available anyways...
are there any bolitoglossas known to be hardy captives?

E

edward

Hi Paris,
if you get them established they are tend to be hardy (at least the two species I worked with). Getting them established is the problem.

Ed

J

jeff

Wow, that's a beautiful salamander. The first thing that came to mind was Red splash-backed D. galactonotus. Who wants to go to Guatemala with me to look for some? j/k

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on March 05, 2005)

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on March 05, 2005)

W

william

yeah, galactonotus does come to mind lol. that is an amazing species though

J

jeff

It would be a pipe-dream to keep lincolni and red galactonotus in the same set-up, wounldn't it? I could just imagine it now...
biggrin.gif

(not that it should actually be done.)

J

jeff

Just to follow up, I found another picture of B. lincolni. It can be seen here: http://www.uta.edu/biology/campbell/guatemala/images/Bolitoglossa_lincolni.JPG
Unfortunately it's listed as Near Threatened due to a small range of habitat (a few places in Guatemala and one in Mexico), so we'll probably never see this species in captivity. If it were introduced into the captive market, it would likely need plenty of plant life (bromeliads, philodendrons) and high humidity in order to survive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1