Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Babies after only 7 days?

KirbyandYoshi

Reaction score
So after only 7 days of being laid I had a hatchling and by the 10th day all my live eggs hatched. I now am a grandma to 17 little swimmers in less than two weeks. Is this normal? I thought hatching process was 14 to 21 days... Weirdest part was the thermometer on the tank said the water is at 66° F.... I thought they only hatched quick if the temp was in the high 70s... anyways here's a pic of my premies.

Attachments

• Resized_20210215_095817(1).jpg
    Resized_20210215_095817(1).jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 809

EmilyP

Reaction score
Newly hatched axolotls should be ok 24-48 hours after since they are still absorbing the egg this should give you plenty of time to hatch some brine shrimp out.

KirbyandYoshi

Reaction score
Newly hatched axolotls should be ok 24-48 hours after since they are still absorbing the egg this should give you plenty of time to hatch some brine shrimp out.

I know. They've been eating for a few days now. The pic I shared shows 2 of them with bbs all around them. I am just shocked they hatched in 7 days from being laid.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I know. They've been eating for a few days now. The pic I shared shows 2 of them with bbs all around them. I am just shocked they hatched in 7 days from being laid.
Not that unusual at that temp. In my last batch, I had some hatching by 8 days and all hatched within 10 at 66 degrees. 14-21 is definitely normal at lower temps, but anything above about 64 and they can hatch quicker.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1