Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Babies stopped eating

H

hailz

hey guys, my baby axies were eating fine, they were in a small container all together while i cleaned the left over eggs and everything out and whilst they were in there they were eating fine, but since i put them back in the larger container they dont seem to be eating at all. Should i put them back in the smaller one so the area isnt as big and they can find the food? i didnt think it would have been good for them to be so close together(so they dont eat each other). i lowered the water level a bit so they are closer to the food(live black worms chopped up) but im just worried they are going to starve.
sad.gif
and advise would be great.

A

anne-marie

How big are they - If they're only about a few weeks or less, I think the blackworms might be a little too big? Lowering the water level is good idea and should help. Can you find microworms anywhere? they are a more edible size for young'uns. Failing that, get a brine shrimp hatchery happening.

P

peter

Hi Hailz

yes you are correct, a lower water level is better.
i am currently raising a bunch of about 30 ax' babies.
i am hatching shrimp brine and find that low water levels are better to allow the babies easier access to them.
they're not great swimmers at this stage (about 2 weeks old) and need the food to be in close proximity to their little snapping mouths.
occ i end up with a couple of inches more water in their tank and they don't seem to clear the tank of brine shrimp.
if you would like to see a shrimp brine hatchery, go to the top of these forum pages, click on Search option and type in Brine Shrimp. there is a great picture of a set up.

better still, just go to this website.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

peter

(Message edited by band_of_4 on July 07, 2005)

C

cynthia

Hailz - I would suggest newly hatched brine shrimp or daphnia. These foods stay moving.

H

hailz

Thanks Guys, im thinking that maybe they should go back to the smaller tank so its easier to find food, and then as they get bigger move them out. My boyfriend had to hatch brine shrimp for science last year so we might have a go at that over the weekend. Its funny, he thought they were weird when i first got them now he wants one of the babies. They just grow on you and you cant resist there little faces!
biggrin.gif
Ps: This site is great i'd be in so much trouble without it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1