Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotl advice needed

Kellig9191

Reaction score
IMG_20200527_083411_BURST004.jpg

I recently ordered what was supposed to be a lieucistic baby axie, long story short, the poor thing ended up taking 10 days to arrive, yet surprisingly turned up still alive. Looking at the eyes I'm wondering whether this is actually an albino of some sort? And also how would I know if it is sick at all from being stuck in transit for so long in the heat we've had lately. It was advertised as being 2 inches long yet she/he is barely the size of a fingernail and no visible limbs that I can see. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks 😊

myfirstaxolotls

Reaction score
Cute: ) Do you feed her with live brine shrimp? I have grown a couple hundred of wild-type axolotls a few years back. Sold to retailer later on. If she eats I suppose its all good? The eyes look white so perhaps you got an albino? But not sure how certain one can be when this small still.

Kellig9191

Reaction score
Unfortunately she passed a couple of days ago 😔. Surprised she lasted as long as she did. But we now have 3 wild type hatchlings who are now a week old and doing well... Just impatiently waiting for limbs to appear now

MotherofAxolotls

Reaction score
No reputable breeder should be shipping axolotls that small, on top of it that looks like a golden Albino, not a leucistic. You should really report that seller or try to get your money back. Sorry for your loss!

Kellig9191

Reaction score
Thank you. I recieved a full refund. As it was advertised as being 2 inches long and eating frozen bloodworm I was shocked and obviously quite upset for the poor thing. I think it's safe to say I won't be buying axies offline in the future after this.

MotherofAxolotls

Reaction score
Thank you. I recieved a full refund. As it was advertised as being 2 inches long and eating frozen bloodworm I was shocked and obviously quite upset for the poor thing. I think it's safe to say I won't be buying axies offline in the future after this.

Aw I’m sorry you had to go through that. Just know that it’s not your fault. There are some really great breeders out there, I guess you just have to do your research. Unfortunately, I sold the last of mine & am taking a break until the fall otherwise I’d offer you something but if you would like I can send you to some other great breeders, just lmk!

Kellig9191

Reaction score
That's a lovely offer thank you. We ended up getting some eggs to Hatch and are now left with 2 babies that are currently 16 days old and seemingly doing well so far, so I'm hoping they make it fingers crossed 😊

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!