Question: Baby axolotl out of egg...

nataleepanda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soo, my axolotl laid eggs about two weeks ago and I recently noticed that one of the babies isn't in an egg. It's in late development stages and has tiny gills and stuff but I have no idea what to do. The first day I noticed him, he was motionless and then started squirming around and I've looked today and he can swim?! Will he live? Or...

He may do, he might not...
Axies sometimes don't move for 24-48 hours when they first hatch, it's very disconcerting!

The best thing you can do is move him to his own tub, and give him some BBS.

I 'artificially' hatched a couple of mine early by sucking them up in my siphon - they are now 7 weeks old and doing fine.

Hatching isn't an exact science anyway - it may well be a natural early hatching and the others will follow quickly. Mine hatched at days 13-17.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back