Question: baby axolotls?

cherryscented

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Alice
I was just wondering how long you should keep new born axolotls together? As I have heard stories about them eating each other :(
Thanx

At about 5-7cm axolotls will start biting each other (from my experience) I also read on axolotl.org that the wildtype babies are more likely to attack golden or albino babies, so I usually seperate my bubs into two tanks, one for wild and one for golden/albino.

At the moment my babies are 5-6cm and have yet to bite each other. I keep them well fed though :eek:
I also seperated the smaller babies (around 3-4cm) and put them in ANOTHER tank, because the bigger ones might nibble them in time..

It can be as early as 2-3 cm if they are crowded. My six larvae were between 2 and 3 cm and about 4 to 5 weeks from hatching when I took them on and only had 20 limbs between them, less if you count missing digits, and some of their gills were very lopsided.

I spread them out by size into three containers and they regenerated fast. Lots of waterweed helps if you are keeping them together.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back