Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby lotls💜

Zilla Havens

Reaction score
Ohhhhh okay 🙈 well thank you!! hahaha we are very new to this…. We’ve had them for a couple of years now but still learning😉☺️… thank you for letting me know💜 whoops 😬
992F6425-306B-4596-9E4A-2100543D5BFB.jpeg

I really want to learn more about these amazing lil creatures … we sure love them 😉 their different personalities are precious! To be honest these babies were not planned lol

Attachments

• 3498E3BE-DF87-43EA-811D-962A3EE56B82.jpeg
    3498E3BE-DF87-43EA-811D-962A3EE56B82.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63

Zilla Havens

Reaction score
No worries! You're doing a great job for a beginner since they all look healthy. The one with a single eye is interesting because I can see an eye shape if you look closely but no developed pupil. Keep us posted for sure. Either a one eyed lotl or a mosaic possibly.
I sure will! And thank you so much for explaining those terms to me. Someone else asked that wants to buy some of them and I gave them the same answer🙈 oops! Lol

looie_808

Reaction score
Is Zilla older? Some Lucys will turn yellow over time due to the accumulation of riboflavin in their diet.

Zilla Havens

Reaction score
Is Zilla older? Some Lucys will turn yellow over time due to the accumulation of riboflavin in their diet.
He’s about 2 years old now… we got him as a young baby💜
That makes sense …. He will only eat live black worms 🙄… we’ve tried other things but he seems to be kinda snobby 😉 and possibly a bit spoiled! 😉

Zilla Havens

Reaction score
He’s about 2 years old now… we got him as a young baby💜
That makes sense …. He will only eat live black worms 🙄… we’ve tried other things but he seems to be kinda snobby 😉 and possibly a bit spoiled! 😉
He eats A LOT! I’m sure another diet would be more filling but he just won’t take anything else? He spits them right back at me (with a smile) lol. I know some feed less often but ours eat every night. A less expensive diet would be nice but…?🙈

looie_808

Reaction score
Yeah blackworms will work but he would have to eat a lot to get the correct nutrients. We have a red wiggler farm that we draw from in our garage. After we harvest and rinse the dirt off we blanch them which gets rid of the bitter taste they give off.
When an axolotl refuses to eat good food we just don't feed them until they get hungry enough to eat them. They wont starve themselves and they do get spoiled easily. We have six >.< so we needed to find a self sustaining food source.

looie_808

Reaction score
Here is a couple of ours. One is a Melanoid and the other is a Hypo-melanistic Copper.

Attachments

• PXL_20220903_043801585.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20220903_043801585.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20220829_140520537.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20220829_140520537.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64

Zilla Havens

Reaction score
Here is a couple of ours. One is a Melanoid and the other is a Hypo-melanistic Copper.
Yes and ours eat so much and so often… that a lot on its own and then we were blessed with ALL these babies and whew!!! lol
Awwwwwww what beauty’s!!!
And they most definitely look loved and happy!! That’s a great idea with the worms! Maybe we need to try that?
Again, those babies of yours are too CUTE!!

Zilla Havens

Reaction score
Yes and ours eat so much and so often… that a lot on its own and then we were blessed with ALL these babies and whew!!! lol
Awwwwwww what beauty’s!!!
And they most definitely look loved and happy!! That’s a great idea with the worms! Maybe we need to try that?
Again, those babies of yours are too CUTE!!
I love all the live plants!! You guys know what you’re doing!😍

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1