Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby Necturus maculosus

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I know some people that work with Mudpuppies that have never seen them this small. These 2 are less than 1.5 inches. Strong running stripes and bright peach colors, these 2 seem to be very new to the world. Seems like their hatching wasn't long ago. I'm sure that these 2 salamanders are spawn from this year. There is still a strong debate on exactly when N. maculosus lay eggs. Some people think they are laying right now in late fall early winter, others believe they lay in the spring. I've never heard an accurate answer.

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG_use.jpg
    IMG_1327.JPG_use.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,625
  • IMG_1298.JPG_use.jpg
    IMG_1298.JPG_use.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,089
  • IMG_1307.JPG_use.jpg
    IMG_1307.JPG_use.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2,180

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Wow, those are some stunnners! From looking at adult N. maculosus, it's hard to believe they start out looking like that.

theloderma865

Reaction score
I have found N. maculosus eggs in the spring (May) in East Tennessee. I would assume that all N. maculosus regardless of locale would breed in the spring.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thanks Martin. These guys are now with a local biologist that is doing research on them. They are in good hands. They will surely help him in his research. I'm just glad I can help.

Caudae

Reaction score
Those sure are tiny! The lines are quite interesting too

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
They loose the running stripes with age. I've seen some decently large ones out there with the running stripes but most big ones are more blotchy than anything else.

Thanks for watching!

e23ho

Reaction score
Having done an undergraduate thesis on these guys (not on their breeding however), I find this intriguing... Last spring I went out to release specimens I had 'taken' from the wild for a lab study (don't worry, purely observational) and I found these two mudpups - one smaller and younger than the other - both within a few meters of each other on the afternoon of 22 July 2011.

They seem to be at different stages of development but possibly from the same period of breeding - they are both much larger than yours and are about 2/3 - 3/4 full size. Just thought you might enjoy seeing the way the pattern slowly becomes spotty from distinct lines (sorry about the photo quality, it's hard to shoot through water at the peak of a summer's afternoon)!

Attachments

• BabyNecturus3 a.jpg
    BabyNecturus3 a.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 2,244
  • FoundMudpuppy a.jpg
    FoundMudpuppy a.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 871

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Having done an undergraduate thesis on these guys (not on their breeding however), I find this intriguing... Last spring I went out to release specimens I had 'taken' from the wild for a lab study (don't worry, purely observational) and I found these two mudpups - one smaller and younger than the other - both within a few meters of each other on the afternoon of 22 July 2011.

They seem to be at different stages of development but possibly from the same period of breeding - they are both much larger than yours and are about 2/3 - 3/4 full size. Just thought you might enjoy seeing the way the pattern slowly becomes spotty from distinct lines (sorry about the photo quality, it's hard to shoot through water at the peak of a summer's afternoon)!

Awesome find! Its not uncommon for me to find them just meters away from each other in the right rock piles. I've seen up to 3 under the same rock before. Your lucky to still find them in July, I stop looking at the end of April.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1