Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bacterial Thread in larvae!!!!

Lieba

Reaction score
HI! I'm new here and I really need help!
I have my Cynops Orientalis not even for a year and this is the first posture I have.
I don't know a lot of taking care of larvae but I am doing my best.
I have about 20 eggs and 11 larvae.
THe prolem is:
Two of them had born and died in the following day. I believe there is a bacterial cause because they were something between green and grey and then they became moldy and the bodies completely disintegrate.
I want to know how to prevent more deaths!
Please help me!

I've never raised those but I can tell you that when a newt or larva dies, it gets covered with fuzz almost immediately. That's normal.

They came fuzzy before dying, them they desisntegrate.
I have read that this is usualy caused by bacteria, but, as i said, I'm new with this.....

You probably need to change water more frequently. I used to change water every day. And it was almost a complete water change. Is your water cool enough? Try to separate the eggs and larvae in multiple containers. There is a saying that "Dont put all your eggs in one basket."

Try to use new equipment that has not been contaminated, if you think this has a bacterial cause.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1