Badly bitten leg

axowattyl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sadly one of my smaller lotls has had its leg badly bitten.

He's smaller than the rest and it was possibly bad judgment to put him in there, but the tank's pretty big and all has gone well till today.

The leg is still attached but looks to be wrecked and just hanging behind him.

He's actually not a very good specimen, both smaller and a bit misshapen already, but had just taken a big earthworm this morning and I hoped he might come good.

Should I:

1. Put him down humanely.

2. Snip the wounded leg off altogether so a new one can grow.

3. Treat him in some sort of solution.

They're all well fed and the tank water is testing perfectly.

It would be great if someone could help me with a course of action so I can get straight onto this.

Cheers,

Have you got a photo of the axolotl?

I'd remove him into his own tank or container if you haven't already. To be honest I'd leave the leg as it will probably fall off by itself if it's a bad bite. Keep and eye on him for fungus. You could do a tea bath or put and Indian Almond leaf in the tub with him to reduce the risk of a fungal infection.

It seems that his gills on that side aren't working either, only the other side "flaps" now.

To be honest I think it might be kinder to put him in the freezer so he passes painlessly.

Like I said he was already a bit of a deformed one, which might have to do with him being bitten (he's not THAT much smaller than the others).

I'll have a look at him in the morning when I'm going to do a water change and decide.

Thanks very much for the advice, which I might still try.

Not to be rude, but axolotls regularly survive such bites and regrow their limbs - please don't euthanise him unless you're really sure he isn't going to pull through.

Placing him in a separate container and performing tea baths should be enough to prevent infection and fungus. Here is the recipe for a tea bath:

• Tea bath for axolotls
    Contributed by Daniel Weiner, August 2007.
    I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.
    The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
    A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution.
If you do place him in another container, please do 100% daily water changes with dechlorinated water at the same temp as his container. You can also do tea baths in that container.

Although a photo would help, I really don't feel euthanasia is necessary. This board has seen axolotls with more than one limb bitten off before that have made full recoveries. When you put him back out of his container - either put a divider up so that the other axxies can't get to him or you could find a 10 gallon especially for him.
I know this advice sounds like a lot but he should pull through with this care.

Freezing is NOT a humane way to euthanase an axolotl.

I'm sure I read that here somewhere...can't find it now but it might have been referring to eggs or larvae or something.

What IS the humane way (should it become necessary, hopefully not OF COURSE).

petersgirl,

Not rude at all, I'll give that a go.

Let's not get the idea that I'm all for killing the thing willy nilly!

I just don't like dragging out the suffering if I think it's not going to make it anyway.

It's injuries look bad to me, but I'm happy to take your word that these animals can make a come back from injuries.

I'll give the tea bath a go first thing in the morning.

Cheers all.

Thank you,

To my amazement it's walking around (albiet on 3 legs) this morning like nothing has happened to it.

He seems to be looking for a feed, actually.

Coming off a farm I've been raised by people who quickly ascertain an animals injuries then make a decisive decision so as to minimize suffering.

Looking at this it seems that lotls are MADE to handle this sort of thing.

So he's off the hook, I'll give him the tea treatment and see how he goes.

Cheers all for the advice.

if its just a leg injury its not life threatening
i have 3 juvies that have all had their back legs nipped off and theyre already starting to regenerate
limbs grow back, its not a serious enough injury to consider euthanasia....
axolotls are extremely resilient, if its still active and eating then its worth it to just keep it fed and in good quality water, you will be amazed at what an axolotl can survive

If there's one thing axolotls excel at, it's healing. These little guys never get cancer and can 'remake' cells, skin, bone and blood, healing severed limbs with ease. The leg will grow back (I have seen estimates of 1 month - 3 months for a leg) and may be a little misshapen or discoloured, but it should be functional.

I hope the tea bath is helpful. It's designed to tighten the skin and prevent infection setting in, and the tannins are also antibacterial. It also has the benefit of soothing the slime coat and wound.

Glad the little guy seems okay! Please keep stuffing him with worms, as that will help him recover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back