Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bamboo

M

mark

Hi,
I was wondering if bamboo bought from garden centers/stores would be ok in a tree frogs set-up as a pertch?

E

elisabeth

Well, the base of the bamboo needs to be submerged in water. Other than that, I've been told that it's safe to put in newt tanks, so it should be fine with frogs too.

D

duo

its perfectly safe i use it with my frogs and geckos so it should be good

andrew

Reaction score
I've kept some in my ten gallon viv for about 3 years now. They have allways been in about 3-4 inches of water, or less. Ofcourse that water has lots of soil in it, i let the soil enter the water, nothing bad came of it. I find that the "bamboo" plant not only keeps living, but has out grown the tank about 7 times. I have a virtual forest of "bamboo" plants in the water area, from all the cuttings i've made. My firebellies love to live in there, except sometimes i dont see them for many days.

pollywog

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I am not sure if the other posts actually answer your question, do you mean live Bamboo or do you mean the Bamboo canes that they sell in Garden Centers?
The canes are fine to use, I have used them myself in the past for several treefrog species, just give them a good scrub first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1