Banded bullfrog (Kaloula pulchra) breeding?

JadePorter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am getting a group of these frogs and I was wondering what conditions are needed to breed them? I've found very little online about actual breeding conditions - most everywhere just lists that they are almost all wild caught because they are plentiful in the wild and hard to breed. I know that they breed after monsoon rains so I think I should make a rain chamber to try to simulate the breeding conditions. Does anyone have experience breeding them in captivity?

Hello! I have not bred these frogs but I plan to breed mine in the near future - I have actually found information stating that they are not terribly difficult to breed - they mostly need a month or two month dryer and cooler period (50 degrees, let the soil get dry on the top for about 2 months, with less food) and then slowly raise their temperature and increase their food intake, and bring up the humidity. Then transfer to a rain chamber with many floating plants/ logs/ areas to get onto land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back