Question: Barfing?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
One of my axies was actively barfing yesterday - full on stomach heaving, up-chucking bits of undigested shrimp shell :errr: (and right at the front of the tank too!)

While I know that axies will bring up anything that doesn't agree with them, and if they over-eat, I'm suprised at this because she had the shrimp 10 days ago :eek:

She's eating and pooping normally. One of her tank mates appeared a little constipated a few days ago and then pooped everywhere :rolleyes: and I put that down to shrimp chitin.

But is it possible that she can digest worms for over a week while still keeping shrimp chitin in her tummy for that long? Is it normal?

Maybe the stomach digested the shrimp chitin first and had real trouble breaking it down, and perhaps what you saw wasn't worms but mushed up chitin or shrimp? Either that or maybe it was the remains of a worm you fed more recently.

Have you ever had axxies suddenly start throwing up worms they ate fine previously, Auntiejude? My two have spat all the worms out that I've given them over the past few days. I'm not sure whether they've picked something up from an unwashed container I kept them in for a bit while I cleaned, or whether they're being picky.

Is it possible she ate what your other one pooped out? That would do it, and seems it is the same stuff, from your description :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back