Beginning stages of Columnaris infection?

Izcx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I apologize for any formatting errors as I'm a first-time poster and writing this from a phone.

I began noticing a bit of discoloration developing on my axolotl's gills over the last week or so. Truthfully speaking, we've only had it (gender unknown) for a month. When we brought it home, it's gills were in a pretty pathetic state, and have been recovering and filling out like crazy. Im a bit of a worry wort and can't tell if these are iridophores, an environmental injury, or the beginning stages of a calumnaris outbreak.

Jörmungandr's water parameters are 7.8 pH, 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, 10-20 ppm nitrates. Gh/kh are currently unknown, but the test kit is arriving later today and I would be more than happy to report back with the results if that information would be helpful in an armchair diagnosis. We also have a chiller, so the water temperature is a consistant 64-65 f.

As far as personality goes, nothing out of the ordinary to report that I can think of. It has an extremely healthy appetite, so no worries in that department.

Throwing in a cloaca shot in hopes that someone can tell me what gender lotl I have lol.

Thank you in advance, and sorry again for the formatting/photo quality!

Attachments

• 20221102_085502.jpg
    20221102_085502.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 20221102_085314.jpg
    20221102_085314.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20221102_101311.jpg
    20221102_101311.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20221031_121859.jpg
    20221031_121859.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 83
Managed to get a better picture.

Attachments

• 20221102_123258.jpg
    20221102_123258.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 62
It looks like it could be an early fungal infection. Salt baths or tea baths work. Columnaris is a bacterial infection. Since bacteria grow in more temperate climates, axolotls normally do not get columnaris. Tropical fish are more susceptible due to their living conditions being more temperate. Axolotls, on the other hand, get fungal infections more often.

It looks like it could be an early fungal infection. Salt baths or tea baths work. Columnaris is a bacterial infection. Since bacteria grow in more temperate climates, axolotls normally do not get columnaris. Tropical fish are more susceptible due to their living conditions being more temperate. Axolotls, on the other hand, get fungal infections more often.
Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back