Bent Tail, Lethargic, Small to No Appetite

btell21

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I am hoping to find some help.
We brought our little guy home a month ago (see photo 1 for body reference). He was excited and always just chilling and eating and swimming up to us when we would walk by. Unfortunately our tank crashed and we started testing ammonia in the water (0.25ppm, 0 nitrite, ~5 nitrate) so we took him out to tub him while addressing the tank. 100% water changes in his tub everyday.
While tubbing, we noticed that he started refusing to eat his blood worms and shrimp brine, so we tested out very small cut red wrigglers and soft carnivore sinking pellets. He threw up the red wriggler, and since then has not really taken to food. He’ll have maybe 2-3 brine shrimp and then stop. We also noticed that his tail has started to bend (see photo 3). I want to try to get him to start eating again. I’ve tried to find black worms but they are so hard to find in Canada.
Any help would be so appreciated. I’ve called every vet within an hour radius from us and no one is able to care for him.
(tank set up: 20 gallon tank, no substrate, 2 hidey holes/caves, sponge filter, 16C water).

Attachments

• FA2A628E-A332-44D3-BB07-1EBDAEB81CC9.jpeg
    FA2A628E-A332-44D3-BB07-1EBDAEB81CC9.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 1,559
  • E38AA4E7-89E9-4817-9CF9-505BE661EECB.jpeg
    E38AA4E7-89E9-4817-9CF9-505BE661EECB.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 92C14525-3A44-4B14-8B3D-DA8B25CB309F.jpeg
    92C14525-3A44-4B14-8B3D-DA8B25CB309F.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 5D372BE8-D2E4-4BE4-995C-F321B67A3407.jpeg
    5D372BE8-D2E4-4BE4-995C-F321B67A3407.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Hello I’m wondering If the reason your axolotl seems so stressed out is beacuase of the tubbing itself. I know my axolotl gets extremely stressed while being tubbed and he went through a period of time without eating because the stress from tubbing. It even took a little while for him to get fully back to his normal routine after we put him in the aquarium. Was your axolotl showing any of these signs while being in the tank with .25 ammonia? There might be others on this forum with a different opinion but in my personal experience .25 ammonia hasent been that big of a problem for my axolotl. If your axolotl starts experiencing even more signs of stress I would think about putting him back into the aquarium and see how he reacts. Also, if you are worried about the ammonia live plants ,if you don’t already have them, could help. I did that with mine recently and I have noticed a nice improvement. I hope that this is helpful and your guy starts feeling better soon😊.

Hi everyone, I am hoping to find some help.
We brought our little guy home a month ago (see photo 1 for body reference). He was excited and always just chilling and eating and swimming up to us when we would walk by. Unfortunately our tank crashed and we started testing ammonia in the water (0.25ppm, 0 nitrite, ~5 nitrate) so we took him out to tub him while addressing the tank. 100% water changes in his tub everyday.
While tubbing, we noticed that he started refusing to eat his blood worms and shrimp brine, so we tested out very small cut red wrigglers and soft carnivore sinking pellets. He threw up the red wriggler, and since then has not really taken to food. He’ll have maybe 2-3 brine shrimp and then stop. We also noticed that his tail has started to bend (see photo 3). I want to try to get him to start eating again. I’ve tried to find black worms but they are so hard to find in Canada.
Any help would be so appreciated. I’ve called every vet within an hour radius from us and no one is able to care for him.
(tank set up: 20 gallon tank, no substrate, 2 hidey holes/caves, sponge filter, 16C water).
I have the exact same problem. Mine hasn't eaten in nearly a month is lethargic went all red thought it had redleg tubbed it for a week and now it is just left with a red tail which is bent most the time used to love worms from the compost nearly jump out of the water to grab them from my hand now nothing will interest it. Pellets, blood worms just nothing I'm startng to wonder if maybe it has parasites from all the worms that used to eat. Did you find a solution

I have the exact same problem. Mine hasn't eaten in nearly a month is lethargic went all red thought it had redleg tubbed it for a week and now it is just left with a red tail which is bent most the time used to love worms from the compost nearly jump out of the water to grab them from my hand now nothing will interest it. Pellets, blood worms just nothing I'm startng to wonder if maybe it has parasites from all the worms that used to eat. Did you find a solution

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back