Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bentonite substrate curious Axo Dad

Uzi

Reaction score
I got into Axolotls only a few weeks ago to help out my daughter who couldn't care for hers.
I've had many aquariums, general tropical, angels, discus, and cichlids.
I've never had a problem with cloudy water but I do now!
My axos (3) in a 40 breeder tank with 2 aquaclear 50's running on low seem very healthy but I want to see them.

My biggest reason for joining though is to find out if anyone has used Bentonite mat, also called pond liner, for axolotl?
Seems to me it would be perfect but I just want to bounce my idea off wiser more experienced minds.
Thinking about using Bentonite powder (well shaft liner) underneath 1/2" Bentonite mat to create an interesting textured bottom with nothing for my guys to choke on.
I sure appreciate your help!!

Reaction score
I don’t know much about ponds but after googling the mat and the powder, I feel like it may be too risky with as sensitive as Axolotls are. The powder moreso than the liner. Unless you planned on lining the entire tank up to the outside..? I’m sorry if I’m not following your idea correctly. If you’re just looking for an easier to clean axie safe substrate, there are plenty of other options.

Some people will order pet safe turf/fake grass samples from eBay or Menard’s and silicone it to the bottom of their tanks. Silicones must be non “anti molding” though. The chemicals they use to prevent mild is what’s harmful to axolotls. Slate tiles are another clean option.

Either way, welcome to Caudata!

Uzi

Reaction score
Interesting!
If the plastic is safe for the Axos why not?
The powder, when contained ( as in a water well shaft or under the mat) turns into very solid clay. I am thinking the powder would be used to create contour then cover with mat then soak and compress. Slits could be cut in for live plants if I want.
For many years I used both powder and mat in making retention ponds around electrical transformers (transformers contain mineral oil the ponds are for environmental protection and hopefully never contain oil, only water). The Bentonite was very effective and amphibians seemed to love it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1