Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best food for a pacman

limnologist

Reaction score
I say other anurans (namely bullfrogs) and large bodied insects (hissing roaches, grasshoppers)

Dyelon

Reaction score
I believe there is a company that developed a pre-prepared powder diet for pacmans. I think the idea was that it contained essential nutrients and things of the sort and was low in fats like certain foods that some pet owners like to give them (i.e mice)

Also when talking about the "best" food, I might be taking this a different way than you mean. As far as readily available and cost effective, I can't imagine that other anurans are going to be practical. Also I don't know how complete of a diet other anurans are, unlike the prepared diet where we know for sure the nutrition content.

Do you know the nutritional value of bullfrogs? Also where do you get a supply from?

limnologist

Reaction score
I believe there is a company that developed a pre-prepared powder diet for pacmans. I think the idea was that it contained essential nutrients and things of the sort and was low in fats like certain foods that some pet owners like to give them (i.e mice)

Also when talking about the "best" food, I might be taking this a different way than you mean. As far as readily available and cost effective, I can't imagine that other anurans are going to be practical. Also I don't know how complete of a diet other anurans are, unlike the prepared diet where we know for sure the nutrition content.

Do you know the nutritional value of bullfrogs? Also where do you get a supply from?

I don't like prepared foods, its unnatural. bullfrogs are very impractical for the common keeper haha. but, when you gut-load them with various food items, they can be very nutritional, also, they make the pacmans work to catc the food. I breed my own large supply of bullfrogs, so, its very practical for me to feed them to the pacmans.

sde

Reaction score
I don't like prepared foods, its unnatural. bullfrogs are very impractical for the common keeper haha. but, when you gut-load them with various food items, they can be very nutritional, also, they make the pacmans work to catc the food. I breed my own large supply of bullfrogs, so, its very practical for me to feed them to the pacmans.

I am assuming that the bullfrogs are tadpoles or newly morphs?

Feeding captive bred bullfrogs is probably OK parasite wise, but I would never feed anything a wild caught bullfrog. They are relatively well known to carry parasites etc. and they don't always show signs of having a parasite. -Seth

limnologist

Reaction score
I am assuming that the bullfrogs are tadpoles or newly morphs?

Feeding captive bred bullfrogs is probably OK parasite wise, but I would never feed anything a wild caught bullfrog. They are relatively well known to carry parasites etc. and they don't always show signs of having a parasite. -Seth

nope, the pacman can takedown some pretty large bullfrogs. yup, they're all CB.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I usually give them sunlight and feed them prey that have been eating foods high in calcium and have never had to use calcium powder.

You wouldn't need calcium if they were consuming bullfrog bones but most people feed worms, night crawlers, and roaches when accepted. Those have to be dusted in calcium or you will end up with frogs with deformed legs and other ailments.

limnologist

Reaction score
Oh wow I didn't know that pacmans could get that big!

I would also think that earthworms would be best ( if supplemented with calcium like Coastal Groovin said ).

I actually consider that size less than large. Ive seen some monsters before.
Earthworms are probably best by popular demand because they are convenient.

Ekmanor

Reaction score
My adult pacman's diet consists of earthworms with calcium, roaches, and the occasional silk worm.

My babies eat the same, with a few pinkies every now and then.

Emily1

Reaction score
You can roll the worms in calcium so that's easy. Plus Dubias are great (and don't smell at all like crickets or other things do).
The mice would only be once in a while because of the bones, a goldfish would be a substitute for a mouse.
If you use calcium you don't really need the mouse/goldfish if you don't want to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!