Best type of food for axolotls?

sliemm

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all. This is my first post to caudata.org - I just got myself two lovely axies and am hugely enjoying their company. My question regards feeding them.
I bought them at a reputable pet shop, and the guy there recommended Axolotl Food by Aqua Master, a 150g jar of pellets. The ingredient breakdown is 48% crude protein, 9% crude fat, 5%; crude fibre and 8% max moisture. Aqua Master tout these pellets as formulated to maintain health and growth rate.
I've dropped some pellets in the water, only the axolotls only seem to snap at them if I drop them directly in front of their faces. Once they've settled on the sand, they tend to ignore them. So I've got to be fairly accurate with my feeding technique - and sometimes when they attempt to position the pellet in their mouth, it falls out or they'll accidentally spit it out, so it sits ignored on the sand. The other problem is the pellets tend to flake up pretty quickly and foul the water, and cleaning the detritus out is fairly difficult.
Can anyone recommend, firstly, a good feeding technique? Should I be dropping the pellets in front of the axolotls' mouths? I've tried handfeeding and they're not too receptive to that. And am I using the correct food? Have people found similar difficulties with pellets, and is there a better alternative they might prefer?
Thanks in advance. I'll post some photos up soon.

Hi,

When we got our Axolotls we got some catfish pellets as they were the closest we could find to the trout pellets that have been well documented to be safe or axies. At first they did the same as yours and didn't really pay much attention to them but they got used to them in the end. It may be that their sense of smell gets better when they are a bit older.

I started to feed mine using the stick method almost as soon as I got them. For this I used a chop stick which I taped a blunt cocktail stick at the end. This is then used to skewer the food item (earthworm or defrosted bloodworm cube or lamb heart) and then waved in front of the Axolotl. You have to be careful if using the bloodworm as they can fall apart but if gentle they stay together pretty well. After a few weeks of this I then tried feeding them by hand. They had got used to the stick (and me) meaning feeding time and as soon as I came to the tank they will raise their heads or swim to the top. They took to taking the food from my hand without issue.

I now feed them by hand most times. I have had an occasional nip which doesn't hurt at all, more of a surprise than painful and feels quite odd.

Hope this has answered your question somewhat!?

I feed mine earthworms and I've heard they are the best all round nutrition, they stay healthy on them even if that's the only food you offer.Also I like them because in their natural habbitat they would eat worms etc -feeding pellets just doesn't feel the same to me. Also I love them because we have a (mostly unused) veg patch so I just go and dig a few specimens up. Definately my food of choice and the axis seem to love them too. So entertaining to watch them wrestle with them (they tend to prefer the bigger ones) and even more so when the worm escapes and they go on the hunt for it around the tank. Pretty freaky actually, we lost one worm one night and the next morning we (me and the axis) spotted it still crawling across the sand. He got so far, but needless to say he is now no more :(

I use defrosted bloodworm cubes and a set of nice, long tweezers. Much like Rasputin, I have found that Desdemona and Othello will move to the top of the tank when they see me coming, expecting a feeding, which makes it alot easier. Feeding them at the same time each day also seems to encourage this behaviour,

Axolotls have rubbish eyesight, but an excellent sense of smell, and generally only respond to movement directly in front of them. I find that bonking them gently on the nose is a great way to get their attention and convince them to go for the food. Though I have to be careful feeding them, as they will snap at anything during feeding time, including each other :wacko:, so don't be afraid to encourage them to move to different ends of the tank for safe feeding.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I think I'll invest in some different food - bloodworms and earthworms sound like the go - and see which they prefer. It may be, as you say, that they're still getting used to me feeding them; maybe even still adjusting to their new surroundings. I'm making sure I stick to strict times - about 8.30am and again at around 6pm - so perhaps they just need settling in to a routine.

If you struggle at all with the hand feeding, I use and old well washed out salsa jar on its side sometimes for feeding, I just place the worms or pellets in there. My axie has worked out this is where the food is sometimes found. When im not using the jar I just tip it upside down in the tank, he loves to climb on it!

I'm *so* trying the jar technique. Simple, but effective.

I feed mine river shrimp. I dont like the worms cos they creep me out. The freeze dried shrimp also float so it's easier to feed them. You can get a jar of them in the reptile section. I just drop one in their face and move it around with a chop stick till they get it. Axolotls don't see well so you need to cause the movement of good for them.

At first, I had trouble feeding them too. Try sticking the food in their face with tweezers until they get it. After a while they learn how to eat what you give them.

Freeze-dried food is basically devoid of nutrition. It's not a good staple diet and can lead to severe complications.

I've bought some live king mealworms and they happily snapped them up - it took a bit of me wriggling them in front of their noses, as the mealworms drowned pretty quickly ... but they got there.
I'm going to attempt some bloodworm in a few days as well, as I've heard mealworms aren't overly nutritious.

... by the way, I've just updated my avatar to show off Eric (white) and Ernie (black) post-mealworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back