Big Year 2014

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
If any of you have not watched the film A Big Year, please do. This film is about an annual competition that birders engage in to see the most species on the North American continent (USA and Canada) from January 1st to December 31st. Although I'm not much for birding, the film showed how the comradeship of enthusiasts' of the same type can be fostered through a simple competition. The film stars Jack Black, Owen Wilson, and Steve Martin. It delves deep into the enthusiast's love for nature, and their motivations for escape. It is a must-watch, but I'm not a movie critic. The reason that I'm posting this is that the results of said Big Year are posted at the end of each year in a birding magazine. I think it would really be a blast if the salamandering community of North America had such an informal and friendly competition. Maybe we should contact a magazine, such as Reptile or some other magazine, and see if they will sponsor it. Obviously it is too late for this year, but maybe it is not too late for 2014. The challenge would be to see as many species and subspecies (they count too) in one calendar year in North America (USA and Canada). Any comments welcome, please give feedback.

I haven't heard of the film, but I will be watching it, thanks. I think this is a great idea, but counting only salamanders is too narrow of a scope. Herps in general may be better. On the FieldHerpersForum this goes on every year with the associated database. Not only does that include total number of species recorded, but also things like new county records, which I like.

That, and people in the southern appalachians would have an incredible advantage over others for salamander species counts.

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't know about the competition in the Field Herp Forum, but thanks. I think the Southern Appalachian advantage is just fine, you'd have to do some travelling to win, just like in the bird competition. I still like my idea of a sallies-only count, but all herps might be just as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back