Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bilateral gynandromorph axolotl!

AdvAxolotlsATL

Reaction score
Hello all!
Mike from Advanced Axolotls here. Just wanted to shamelessly show off PB, our bilateral gynandromorph axie! This means that he/she is an animal bilaterally asymmetrical, with one side of the animal being male and the other female. The patchy piebald looking side is the female side and the wild type side is male. His/her gills are even different lengths on either side! He/she is priceless and just amazing to me, split perfectly down the middle, this is literally two different animals put together. You can even see the difference in the cloaca, one side is clearly female, the other male. More photos to come as we take better ones, enjoy!

Axolotls for Sale - Advanced Axolotls Atlanta

Attachments

• pb front.jpg
    pb front.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,122
  • pb prof1.jpg
    pb prof1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,044
  • pb ven.jpg
    pb ven.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 655

headFeed

Reaction score
This is amazing!! What a beautiful axolotl, I didn't even know this could happen!

AdvAxolotlsATL

Reaction score
Thanks much, I'm very pleased with this critter. The rest of the surviving clutch were all normal of course. As far as I'm aware, the condition isn't well understood in vertebrates and I'd imagine is an even more rare occurrence than regular chimeric animals.

AdvAxolotlsATL

Reaction score
The sex of each hemisphere is obvious by the swelling of the cloaca on either side. Like you would sex a normal axolotl, the males have quite a bulge and the female has a neat little bump. Here in PB even the cloaca is perfectly divided down the middle, the right hemisphere being a slight bump and the left a swollen bulge. I'll try to get some close ups of the region for you guys soon!

AdvAxolotlsATL

Reaction score
I don't think asexual reproduction would be possible since axolotls would never naturally reproduce that way and I'm not quite sure how it would mate with another axie either.

emmaie892000

Reaction score
This is amazing! I've always loved animals with this condition, but this is the first axolotl like this that I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!