Black circles

Miranda 2000000

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, my Axolotl has these black dots all over his back his nearly two years older and never had them. Does anyone know what they are?

This is a photo

Attachments

• 17774D4E-7EE1-45BF-B94B-AA4C71CB1F5B.jpeg
    17774D4E-7EE1-45BF-B94B-AA4C71CB1F5B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
Have you tested your tank for the following using a liquid test kit?

pH
High range pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Also Temp?

What does tank set up look like?

I ask as the body condition and gills show some signs of issues as well.

What do you feed?

How much do you water change and how often?

I just cleaned the tank it was a bit over due to be cleaned. It’s a very big tank around 120 litres which is filtered. We use bore water. We put KH powder and aquarium water conditioner as advised by the pet store
I feed him Axolotl sinking food which is all they have at our local pet store. (Half a block a night)
Our water is very cold but it had warmed up in the tank.

Hi
Do you live near a petrol station that sells fishing bait?
I just purchased a tub of european nightcrawlers locally and my axolotl absolutely loves them. One worm is big enough for him per day and I give him a frozen axolotl food which I defrost and slice up every second day plus some pellets scattered around so he can go on a hunt. He is quite plump.
Can you do test your bore water with your test kit to see if that can be the issue? My horses are on bore water and it does taste quite salty/horrible. I know of this only because I accidentally filled up my drink bottle with it when I moved the horses to their current agistment😀

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back