Black fungus on axolotl

bigworm

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all, first time poster here,

My axolotl has had this recurring black spot/fungus, and I've tried to do a fair bit of research as to what it is / what's causing it but have had no luck.
Any help would be very appreciated!
My axolotl is 2 years old, full grown, has a steady appetite, and is active. His gills don't show signs of deterioration or fungus. And they're a nice vibrant colour when he's active.
About a year ago I noticed this black mark on his mouth that was never there before, after some tea baths it went away. but it's been a constant coming/going process throughout this year. Recently it has been more prominent and larger and I've noticed a smaller spot.
I currently have a few Indian Almond Leaves soaking in his tank and am hoping to see some progress soon but am unsure if I'm doing everything I can...
Tank parameters: Ammonia 0ppm , Nitrites 0ppm and Nitrates 20ppm
Temp: 63°F

Does anyone know what's causing this? What it is? And what else I can do about it?

Thank you so much
IMG_20200504_150844_927.jpg

Hi!
It's hard to see on pictures: are you sure it's fungus? It could very well just be pigment. Axolotls can get weird spots and moles even if they're a bit older. Does the spot come out of the skin, or is it flat?

Tank parameters look good, and if the gills and toes are unaffected, it seems a strange place for a fungus to start growing.

Also, tannins (from Indian Almond leaves) don't do much against fungus. They calm the skin so are good for irritated or damaged axolotl skin (maybe they could even prevent fungus), but they don't help against existing fungus.

The best way to attack fungi is through salt baths. Salt baths are horrible, though. It's very bad for axolotl skin and quite painful. Salt baths are like chemotherapy: very bad for the axolotl, but worse for the fungus. I would advise against salt baths until you're sure this is actual fungus.

Hi!
It's hard to see on pictures: are you sure it's fungus? It could very well just be pigment. Axolotls can get weird spots and moles even if they're a bit older. Does the spot come out of the skin, or is it flat?

Tank parameters look good, and if the gills and toes are unaffected, it seems a strange place for a fungus to start growing.

Also, tannins (from Indian Almond leaves) don't do much against fungus. They calm the skin so are good for irritated or damaged axolotl skin (maybe they could even prevent fungus), but they don't help against existing fungus.

The best way to attack fungi is through salt baths. Salt baths are horrible, though. It's very bad for axolotl skin and quite painful. Salt baths are like chemotherapy: very bad for the axolotl, but worse for the fungus. I would advise against salt baths until you're sure this is actual fungus.

Thank you for your response!
It seems to be flesh with his skin, no bumps of any sort. So it very well may be new pigments or moles.
I'll make sure to only use a salt bath if I get a 100% diagnosis that it's fungus, I would hate to ruin his pretty gills.

Thank you again! 🤗

It looks like it might be normal pigment. I wouldn't worry but keep an eye on it. If a lot of red skin or fuzzy fungus shows up I would think of medicating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back