Black "Gunk"

ThatNewGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So today I took out a seed pod from my axies tank, underneath it as I dug it up I noticed that the sand was black (my sand is the color of brown sugar) and this worried me so I sucked up and put it in a cup. Does anyone know what it is? It does not go all over the tank it was specifically under where the seed pod was. I didn't throw it away in case it's beneficial some how but it is out of my tank now. Thanks in advance. (Hope it's ok to post this here)

uploadfromtaptalk1447213968305.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1447213982561.jpeg

Didn't mean to double upload sorry, and the seed pods supposedly have a type of seed in them that will sprout 1-3 months from being submerged. I bought them at petco.

No, that is the seed pod, it's not a stone haha.

Sorry for this, the seed pods are actually plant bulbs, I got them confused -.- anyways thanks for any help :)

Really not sure on the black gunk, and yes plant bulb makes more sense to me now. I do know that you can grow plants from bulbs in aquariums if the conditions are correct for the type of plant, but not sure about this situation.. Do you use lights for your tank at all?

I did find this page which seems to give good advice on plant bulbs in aquariums: All you need to know about bulb plants | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

Hopefully someone with some knowledge on plant bulbs can shed some light on your issue.

Like it released something and it turned my sand black and a little sticky, thanks by the way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back