Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Black iron aquatic sand?

Wiz Khalifa

Reaction score
Waddup Gees, your boy wiz is back with another question.
Okay, so I was looking through the pet store buying some new luxuries for my axolotls molly and baller and I came across this black sand called black iron aquarium sand, and I thought to myself "dayummmm that would look Hella dope in my tank", but anyways I was wondering if you guys knew anything about this sand if if it"ll be safe for my boys
thanks for thr help everyone

auntiejude

Reaction score
No. Silica sand is best, but the black iron stuff affects water quality.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
There are some other black sands that are safe. I believe CaribSea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon black sand is one of them, but check out the specifics before buying to be sure.

What you want is a fine, soft sand, suitable for fresh water aquariums, that won't affect the water chemistry, i.e., silica sand. Sand that is safe for catfish such as corydoras is good. (Corydoras shove their noses through the sand looking for food, so if it is too rough, their nose barbels get worn away)

Note: sand tends to get sucked into filters, so you may need to make some adjustments to your set-up if you get sand.

And you are right - black sand looks pretty awesome. :happy:

allied123

Reaction score
When I was originally looking for black sand everyone specifically said to avoid the tahitan moon sand because it had sharp pieces in it...maybe this has changed but the plain old petco brand black sand has been working great/looking good to me.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!