Question: Black worms and vinegar eels?

Aristole

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Eh
Hi, is it possible I could feed my axolotl larvae cut up black worms or vinegar eels?
I've tried brine shrimp didn't work out to we....:mad: I've also tried microworms and i can't get daphnia here.

Vinegar eels tend to not work well because they congregate at the water's surface, rather than at the bottom where the baby axies are.

What didn't go too well with the bbs? Usually, they are pretty easy, unless you get a batch of eggs with a poor hatching rate.

Oh, well they never hatched. I also find it to transfer them without their shell into the tank. Also without getting saltwater in as when. And they never hatched. I had the air and bottle/water lukewarm. But am i allowed to give em blackworms?

I start all my larvae on minced blackworms now until they are big enough for minced earthworms.

What problem did you have with micro worms? From what I have researched, they look amazingly easy to culture.

3-4 days later, THEY NEVER CLIMBED!They are also extremely small. And i know I'm doing this wrong, It's my first time with babies. So i might give blackworms a try.

It sounds like you got an old batch of eggs. I ended up with a similar problem recently, but since I had a batch of fish fry to feed too, it wasn't much of a problem for me. (I decapsulate the eggs, so the ones that hatched fed the axolotls and the rest fed the fish.) If is doesn't interfere with your efforts to get "for sure" food for your babies, you might try using a lot more eggs than it says you need, and see if you get enough hatching to tide you through to when they start eating by smell.

I found that the brine shrimp nets don't work well for catching bbs, but a scrap of fine woven polyester lining the net (white, so you can see the shrimp) works wonderfully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back