Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blackworms for taricha granulosa

ali

Reaction score
Formerly, both of my newt species (t. gran and c.o., kept in separate tanks of course) were fed primarily nightcrawlers. But when I obtained a juvenile cynops orientalis, I decided that I needed something smaller.

I got blackworms. Caudata Culture says that they aren't great for larger caudates. My taricha must have been getting sick of nightcrawlers because they have fattened up alot since I started giving them blackworms. They eat huge mouthfulls of them!

So, if you've been considering them, give them a shot. Rinsing them every other day is easier than chopping nightcrawlers, too.

E

ester

Taricha are exceptional in many ways. For huge newts they tend to prefer small food. Mine never did aquire a taste for large earth worms. Preferring frozen blood worms instead. They do seem fond of wax moth larvae.

ali

Reaction score
Mine eat the nightcrawler bits REALLY well for a while, then they seem to fast, then they seem to go crazy about them, and so on.

The eat the blackworms like they're candy at every feeding...they would eat until their little bellies look like they're going to explode if I would let them!

...just another wonderful thing about tarichas!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!