Blind or just not very bright?

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my axies attacks the chopsticks when I feed them, and will swim towards them if it sees them. The other totally ignores them and jumps if I get too close to it I've dangled a nice juicy worm right in front of it's mouth and it takes ages to twig that it's dinner time. It also bumps into the glass sometimes.
Otherwise, it seems quite happy and bullies the other one, possibly because it sees dark moving things and thinks it's dinner.
I'm not worried, just interested, do your axies have very different characters like this?

My boy Jello tends to be more assertive and is always the quicker to realize food has been put into the aquarium. Pinky, my little girl, can be annoyingly dense and slow to go after the food. It can be annoying because Jello is a pig and will eat everything and I have worried for Pinky. I'm over that now because one time I observed Pinky do a beehive for the food. It reassured me that if she is hungry enough she will make sure she eats.

I feed the clever one first to make sure his mouth is busy then I feed the thick one, it is getting better at noticing a massive worm dangling right in front of it's face but it helps that the other one isn't trying to eat it at the same time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back