Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated African Dwarf Frog

Gameynerd23

Reaction score
Hello, I have 4 ADFs in a standard ten gallon tank and I have been feeding them half a San Francisco Bay brand frozen bloodworm cube once a day for about a week, but I will be withholding food for a day or two to see if that helps the bloated frog. It's obviously bloated, but it also has a red spot on its stomach. I posted this on a different forum, but I haven't gotten much help and I want to know if there's anything I can do to help the frog. I moved it to a breeder box, and now it's mostly staying atthe surface with its head out of the water. 20210307_195022.jpg20210307_191209.jpg20210307_191027.jpg20210307_134120.jpg

Gameynerd23

Reaction score
I lost the frog overnight, but here's a picture of the bloated stomach and the red mark. It's zoomed in, but if it's still too graphic, I'll delete it. I just want to know why it died and how to prevent this from happening to any of my other frogs.20210308_062200.jpg

Nioa

Reaction score
Bloodworms are associated with causing bloat in ADFs. Mysis shrimp or blackworms are safer staple foods. I'm sorry about your frog. :(

Gameynerd23

Reaction score
Bloodworms are associated with causing bloat in ADFs. Mysis shrimp or blackworms are safer staple foods. I'm sorry about your frog. :(
The other forum I posted this on got a reply that said it could have been internal bleeding or a ruptured organ. They are frozen, not freeze-dried, bloodworms, just btw.

Nioa

Reaction score
The other forum I posted this on got a reply that said it could have been internal bleeding or a ruptured organ. They are frozen, not freeze-dried, bloodworms, just btw.
Yes, I am talking about frozen ones, not freeze-dried ones. I don't know what the mark on his belly is, but I'm guessing it's a symptom of the main cause.

Gameynerd23

Reaction score
Yes, I am talking about frozen ones, not freeze-dried ones. I don't know what the mark on his belly is, but I'm guessing it's a symptom of the main cause.
Alright, I'd like to feed frozen food of some kind... What frozen foods would you recommend. Thanks for telling me about the bloodworms, btw.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!