Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Axie

etnies

Reaction score
So have had a bit of bad luck here or I should say Nidge has had a bit of bad luck.

He shares a tank with 2 other females who are half his size and usually if there are any nips its him that's done it to the other two.

I went in to feed them the other day and he was floating upside down, I had just changed the water (probably 90% as I had missed a change) and thought it was related it to this even though the other were fine, was then I noticed he only had 1 leg left! 2 were gone and 1 was hanging off he has never lost a limb before.

On top of this there was algae bloom from the water change so water was quite green, I immediately removed him from the tank and put him into a container, which he continued to float in, I've since reduced the water where he can sit up right and he is eating for me when I push the bloodworm to him.

I don't no if fridging him is a good idea now as he only has 1 leg, so is finding it extra hard to steady himself, so my thinking was, let him heal in the tub with daily water changes, but I'm beginning to doubt that now and looking for some opinions.

He is bloated, but not hugely like the pics from google but enough to make him float, since he is eating should I keep going the way I'm going or fridge him?

Thanks for opinions

Last edited:

miola

Reaction score
Poor guy. I've never had to fridge, but have had to do the separate tub thing. How old is he? When my female was small, she would often swallow air and end up with an air bubble in her belly. This made her float kinda tilted or even upside down depending on where the bubble was. She was in a small tub at the time, with daily water changes. I ended up adding an air stone to her tub for some extra oxygen and that seemed to help.

miola

Reaction score
Also, as far as fridge goes, I've read that it slows down everything; metabolism, regeneration etc. But keeping the water a little colder than the norm could possibly help speed up healing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1