Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated frog

arianja

Reaction score
I found one of my xenopus floating in the tank this morning, it was severely bloated and the skin hung like a wail around it, it looked several weeks dead although i had only just seen it frolicking same as usual the night before.
It had a smelly green looking sore on its side one and another in front of his front leg and once i nudged it there was a lot of air let loose and it sank.
Although it was so bloated she skin seemed to have folds, was very rubbery looking and the smell was just absolutely horrible.
A friend told me it was most likely Bloating Decease but was baffled by the state of it's skin.
I fed it mostly shrimp, occasionally bloodworms and a few times an earthworm.
I recently changed the substrate, added another frog and lost a salamander in that tank, so i'm think one of those may have been a factor.
Does any one recognize this or know something that can help me save the one that's left or know how to avoid this happening again?

I didn't think to take a picture of it until it was too late.

Attachments

• Photo 214.jpg
    Photo 214.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,124

Jenste

Reaction score
Can you take some better pictures of the one in question?

Put it in a clear tupperware or a kritter keeper and get pictures from all angles (side, from below, from above)

So you added a frog and salamander to the same tank? Are they both still there? Mixing species can introduce toxins and disease that the other species cannot tolerate.

Pictures and a thorough description of the tank, set up, and tank mates (when added, any symptoms, any deaths) and when this frog's symptoms started.

arianja

Reaction score
It has some dark spots on the underside, which i've never seen before and it has 4 claws on each hind leg which i find odd as i'm pretty sure they are supposed to be 3, the extra claw is on the "heel" of its foot kind of like a tiny thumb, on a tiny extra toe (it has 6 toes on each hind leg and 4 on each "hand").
It has always been all speedy and energetic with a big appetite, and to me it has always seemed perfectly healthy. I have however gotten some comments on how it looks like it might have a skin problem and that it looks sick, so i thought i'd check if any thing knows what it might be just to be on the safe side.
There was also a misunderstanding where someone thought the skin was coming loose but that was on the one who died,after i found it dead, this one has never had any problems with flaking or loose skin, it was the way it is when i got it, although the spots are less pronounced now.

The salamander and the frog that died were kept in the same tank at the petstore and i didn't know they should be kept separate, never had any problems though she always backed away from the frogs i got the new one (the one that survived) after it died, i would have bought another salamander but i didn't want to make the same mistake twice :p
there were originally one paddle tail and three xenopus, but all of them were kind of lethargic and soon 2 of the frogs died, that was almost two years ago, one of them barely ate at all and the other was much bigger then the others and i think it might have been old.
Then Nessie, the salamander died a few weeks ago and i'm pretty sure that she ate a pebble from the tank, so i changed to sand and waited for a few days before buying the new frog, i made the foolish beginner mistake of forgetting to quarantine it before adding it in and a few days later the last of my original ones died of bloat.

the tank is pretty basic and a bit small, 40x20 and 24 cm tall, it has black sand (used to have beige pebbles) a hiding rock with 2 openings that is situated near one corner so it can hide behind it, a plant all the frogs have loved to sit in, and a filter i have about 3 cm off the bottom to allow an exra hiding spot

Attachments

• Photo 229.jpg
    Photo 229.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Photo 224.jpg
    Photo 224.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 661
  • Photo 223.jpg
    Photo 223.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

Jenste

Reaction score
I am not sure this is a laevis - The the number of claws depends on species but 3 is incorrect - it is usually 5 or 6 hind claws.

The pictures are a bit dark, can you describe her color for me? I'd be interested in knowing if her back is a grayish green with a blue tinge and her underside a bit yellower with the spots being purpley/gray? If so she would be classified as a borealis. Have you had her long or is she a newer addition?

How long is she?

xxianxx

Reaction score
I am not sure this is a laevis - The the number of claws depends on species but 3 is incorrect - it is usually 5 or 6 hind claws.

The pictures are a bit dark, can you describe her color for me? I'd be interested in knowing if her back is a grayish green with a blue tinge and her underside a bit yellower with the spots being purpley/gray? If so she would be classified as a borealis. Have you had her long or is she a newer addition?

How long is she?

X.laevis have five toes with three claws on the hind leg http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-burg/invasion_bio/inv_spp_summ/xenopus_laevis.htm , i did come across this interesting article about polydactyl Xenopus laevis African Clawed Frogs Today . I have also considered the possability that the frog is a different species of xenopus but dont know enough about the others to have an idea of what it could be, i have googled the heck out of them but to no avail. The frog is apparently acting normal (eating, active etc), its colour has faded from red, its tank mate died a week after the introduction of the new frog and was sloughing skin when it died, is it possible that this frog was suffering from chytrid but made a recovery whilst its tank mate didn't ?

arianja

Reaction score
Its about 4-5 cm long from nose tip to hind legs brownish green back, pale yellowish belly with pale brownish grey spots that seem to be fading as time passes, there were a lot more spots when i got it and they were dark brown, I've had it for about three weeks now.
And it seems even more energetic now than ever.

Jenste

Reaction score
Can you get a really clear picture of the top and bottom? I think this is a borealis based on the description.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!