Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloodworm extraction ?

tritus

Reaction score
Any good techniques for extracting the bloodworms from their mud/silk homes?
Would triturus larvae eat frozen bloodworms left in the tank, or will I have to serve them individually by tweezers?
Thanks
Dewy

peterj

Reaction score
Where are you harvesting the bloodworms from? If you reduce the oxygen in the water (eg warm it up) they'll head to the surface (usually at night). You can also bait them, a chunky potato peel will attract them after it's been in the water for a couple of days and started to rot.

tritus

Reaction score
hi Peter, and thanks. i harvest them from different stagnant waters in my back yards and from my dafnia cultures. now i also think of harvesting them from the wild, using your baiting idea !

peterj

Reaction score
If you have them in daphnia cultures that aren't aerated check first thing in the morning because they'll go to the surface if they're low on O2. If your daphnia cultures are aerated you could leaving the aeration off one overnight and check early in the morning to see if the bloodworms have moved to the surface, doing this could have an impact on your daphnia production though.

Ranid

Reaction score
Tweezers? Dang I don't know how big your worms are for you to do that, even with 'giant' bloodworms.

What I do if I don't want to use the whole packet is take one of those really small round tuppaware (spl) containers and use either a spoon, or I've used little stick twigs things as a scoop and you can control the ammount that way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1