Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bloodworms for Spanish Ribbed Newts

Polkadot

Reaction score
I've heard various answers to this question and am looking for clarification. Is it ok to feed spanish ribbed newts bloodworms? If so, how often should I feed them the bloodworms?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They can be fed sparangly but should never be a significant part of the diet because they are nutritionally incomplete and can lead to deficiencies if abused. Personally i wouldn't use them since there are much better alternatives and therefore there is little point to using them, but they are ok if used very occasionally.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about defrosted bloodworms, but aquatic newts seem to get 'hooked' on them quite easily. By that I mean if you offer nothing but bloodworms for any length of time you'll have a hard time getting them back on to more nutritious foods like earthworms or pellets. My pyrrho's would take defrosted bloodworms over anything else if I let them, even live bloodworms!

Polkadot

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll plan on feeding them more nutritious food

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's the smell. Defrosting the bloodworms causes cellular rupture and all those juices disperse into the water, the newts smell them a mile away and go berserker.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I feel like Im the only one who defrosts them in one cup of water and remove the bloodworms from that cup into a clean cup of water to prevent all that gross disgusting red water from getting into my tank lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!