Bloodworms (frozen) for a mudpuppy?

ryan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
I can't figure out what I can feed my mudpuppy other than nightcrawlers and I was wondering if frozen bloodworms would be a good choice. If I do feed her the bloodworms I will put them in a lid from a jar on the bottom of the tank, good idea?

Couldn't you just put them inside the jar underwater? Then you dont need to worry about the gravel being ingested. I think Dawn uses this setup for her newts too. Like this style

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Water
|----------------]
|Jar
| Bart goes in to eat
|
| Bloodworms <------
| BWBWBWBW
|----------------]
......................................Gravel.....

Well I was feeling creative so I thought I would illustrate it. Didnt turn out that great
lame.gif
but I think it gets the point across. I hope bart starts eating again Ryan. I stopped eating banannas because I ate so many that I stopped liking them for a while as a kid. Maybe bart has the "Bored with Nightcrawlers Syndrome"

Good luck

Haha! I don't really have room in there for a jar with all the rocks and plants.

I used to feed mine frozen blood worms and frozen freshwater shrimp all the time, never had any problems and they seemed to go for them.

I kinda figured if I waited 5 minutes you would reply lol. Ever Tried feeding bart crickets with forceps? My aquatic CO goes crazy for crickets. Just hold them underwater and the wriggling cricket will probably attract him. If there are any streams, preferrably calm, you should be able to find mayfly nymphs and caddisfly nymphs in RI. These are not overly aggressive and will probably not bite bart. At least they have never bitten me while I was handling them. I think they would be a very good food source and could survive in barts aquarium if you have a filter. I know you are interested in entomology, so I thought it would be cool for you to watch the development of aquatic insects as well as help bart.

I am setting up an aquarium with a strong filter - yet to decide on one, and I am Going to raise Helgrammites and Stoneflies. I want to observe their habits so I can learn how to imitate them for fly fishing
happy.gif

I'll will try the crickets but maybe I'll use my fingers because I don't want to take a chance with them injuring her.

I don't have a clue if mudpuppies like to feed this way, but my taricha is attracted to motion on the surface of the water. He eats all sorts of insects this way, including some random bugs that fly in the window and land on the water's surface.

HI Richard,
I thought your graphic was great! I'm feeding all my newts this way now except the terrestrial ones. It's so easy to cut up the worms and put them in the jar, and clean up afterwards. I learned it here somewhere, someone posted a pic of a white axolotl in a jar feeding. I've learned so many great ideas on this forum!

thanks I learned it from you a couple of weeks ago(in a marm post I think?) and it is very convenient. Thanks Dawn

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back