Bloodworms - URGENT

B

brendan

How do you feed the axolotls bloodworms? They go everywhere and the BW al float around near the top and my axies don't know to go up there.

Also

Yes, bloodworms are messy and they go all over your tank. What is the best and most effective method to clean them up?

Thanks.

When I feed frozen blood worm I wrap them up in some freeze dried tubiflex worm seems to hold it all together, I scoop any floating bits out just with a regular old $2 fish net. Seems to do the trick.

You could take your axolotls out of the tank and put them in a small plastic container to feed them. Because the container is smaller the blood worms will be within your axolotls reach and when your finished feeding you can put your axolotls back in their main tank and throw out the dirty water.

Just remember to use water from their tank in the plastic container when you feed them.

I was wondering if I could feed my axolotls in a livebearer breeding trap. It floats in the tank so I wouldn't even have to take my axies out. It wouldn't allow wastes into the water, I'd be able to monitor exactly what and how much my axolotls eat and it would reduce the stress of having been taken out of the tank.

Any thoughts?

when ive fed blood worms i used a sea monkey squeezy tube (like a turkey baster) but you could probably use a turkey baster. dont know if the opening is a bit to big though. but i melted some frozen bloodworm then sucked it up then put it near the axys mouth then pushed all the worms out and they tend to get most of them in their mouths and any left overs - just suck back up with the turkey baster

I might try the bloodworms with my juvi's tomorrow as their tank is smaller and easier to clean. With the adults i might feed them earth worms as they will basically be gulped asap, and not leave a mess.

From personal experiance, I find bloodworms a git to clean up..

I now take my axies out into a small tub and feed them, I then throw away the old water...

I wouldnt want to feed my axies in a breeding net, and bloodworms melt they relise all the juices and make the water red, which means even more cleaning. I find it just as easy to take them out with some tank water an then throw it away after.

Sounds like a great idea. How often do u take em out? i mean wouldnt it get a pain taking em in and out every day?

do they not mind being taken in and out of the tank? one of my axys goes mad when i try to pick him up

Nope, all 3 are fine... i dont feed them every day on blood worms, its normally 2-3 days on worms and once maybe twice a week on the bloodworms.

You have to be VERY gental with them, I use my hands but that is because I dont walk anywhere with them they get put straight in the tub, if you have to move my advice would be to use a net, they wiggle lots! And you must wash you hand and make sure you have nothing left on them as the axies will get this on there skin!

the others i pick up are fine with it - i pick them up properly - i think the other one is just grumpy......

...i just wasnt sure if it still stressed them out even if they seem fine.

I've never had a mess feeding bloodworms. Thaw them in a small, mesh strainer, rinse well. I use a long handled teaspoon, or a long tweezers, and drop them near the bottom of the tank. They sink immediately to the floor, or food dish. My axies, and newts, eat them right up til they are all gone. A bowl works great, as any water current does not swirl them around in the tank. Axies and newts get used to their bowls very quickly.

Ok, thanks Kim. I won't try feeding them in a breeding trap. I'll just take them out and feed them in a plastic tub.

Fed my axies today successfully with bloodworms in their tank... Yaaaaaay.

i use frozen bloodworms, all i do is cut the cube up into bite size pieces while it is frozen and then hand feed him immediatly, they stay together fairly well and there is little mess. any that do stay in the gravel are cleaned out with the weekly vacuum. Before i feed him i put my hand in and play for a bit so he is active and already chasing my hand. no probs so far

i put a heavy bowl in tank with worms inside the axies goes in the bowl and help themselfs :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back