Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: Newts and Salamanders: A Complete Guide to Caudata by Devin Edmonds

BILLY JAMES

Reaction score
Re: New Book: Newts and Salamanders: A Complete Guide to Caudata by Devin Edmonds

It looks good I ordered mine about a month ago aswell as the New Holland Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe witch also is not published yet.

spendday

Reaction score
Re: New Book: Newts and Salamanders: A Complete Guide to Caudata by Devin Edmonds

hmmm ive seen the guys website and its pretty good stuff on there, might have to get a copy

Abrahm

Reaction score

I agree with J, Devin is a good poster on many amphibian sites and runs his own website with FAQs and care sheets which has been a resource of mine in the past.

I also had a chance to thumb through his tree frog book and I liked the way it looked and the topics he covered (i.e. encouraged people to not mix species.) I have hopes that this will be a new book to hold up next to Frank Indiviglio's for basic care and novice information.

wouter

Reaction score

Just 128 pages and then call it a complete guide to Caudata seems nearly impossible to me though. I am curious about the contents! Its hard to write a better guide than Jean Raffaeli's Urodeles du monde.

A

achiinto

Just 128 pages and then call it a complete guide to Caudata seems nearly impossible to me though. I am curious about the contents! Its hard to write a better guide than Jean Raffaeli's Urodeles du monde.

Maybe the words is so tiny that we will have to use microscope to read it. In that case, lot of content. :)

Nphec

Reaction score

I've read a few Newts/Salamander/Amphib books now and i'm wondering if this is worth getting? I suppose an updated book is always good to have because in theory it should have up-to-date info in it, seeing as most of the books i've read have been from the 80s and 90s.

I went to his site and it's mostly about frogs? I dunoo, i'm interested enough to learn all I can, just wondering if this is gonna contain much of anything new. I've yet to read a really comprehensive title about caudates yet. A lot of the books i find are mostly about amphibians in general and often share the book with reptile species. I've recently read "Newts and Salamaders: A complete Pet Owners Manual" by Frank Indiviglio and it was great albeit rather small. Any reccomendations on that front?

EDIT: I found a list on Amazon called "Serious Herpetoculture" I like the sound of that :)
http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Herpe..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XVZ0PY0VQFPC9FP6D12

Anyone read any of these?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

I've corresponded with Devin a few times (my addled brain has some recollection of him telling me about this a year or more ago). He seems like a nice chap. He has a member account here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/member.php?do=getinfo&u=3926

Personally I'm rather curious about this book because it's the first "care" book to be published since this site became so well known. I have a feeling we will see a lot of familiar information.

I hope we get a link (such as Dick Bartlett gave us in one of his recent titles - thanks Dick).

i_love_necturus

Reaction score

Interesting, I won't order it yet... someone will have to let me know if there is any info on Necturus/siren care... that'd be great.

About that Urodeles du monde, has there been anyting new regarding an english version? I'd really like this book, but at the time I won't be reading or trying to read it.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

About that Urodeles du monde, has there been anyting new regarding an english version? I'd really like this book, but at the time I won't be reading or trying to read it.
None that I have heard. I highly doubt there will ever be an English version unless someone else takes on this project, obviously with Jean's approval.

tim

Reaction score

I am aware that Chimaira (Germany) intends to re-publish Jean's book in English along with bigger maps although it is still some way off! Dr Gerold Schipper (publishing manager of Chimaira) told me this at Gersfeld. :happy:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've read a few Newts/Salamander/Amphib books now and i'm wondering if this is worth getting?

EDIT: I found a list on Amazon called "Serious Herpetoculture" I like the sound of that :)

Anyone read any of these?

A few of those books have been reviewed in this forum...in this very section!

I've read some of the reptile books as well. The medical texts are heavy-hitters, and have also been mentioned here, but are extremely expensive.

Interesting, I won't order it yet... someone will have to let me know if there is any info on Necturus/siren care... that'd be great.

Well, I'll be writing a review when I get my copy...so you can get some idea.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The UPS guy just delivered my copy, so I'll put up a review in the next week or so.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Dawn Dawn Dawn, the most important piece of information please! Is there a mention of us? :)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, the site and also axolotl.org is mentioned, and caudata culture, under Resources (websites); and Jennifer Macke/caudata culture is also listed among the References.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, the site and also axolotl.org is mentioned, and caudata culture, under Resources (websites); and Jennifer Macke/caudata culture is also listed among the References.
Home run! Thank you Devin. What else does he mention?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

John, I will make this review my top priority!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I ordered this only a couple of days ago at Amazon..along with :-

Keeping-Axolotls-Linda-Adkins

It was only after I completed the order I saw it is a pre-order:rolleyes:

freves

Reaction score

I look forward to reading it. I have to say that I am a little dissappointed that the author is not better known here. I am by no means implying that one has to regularly post on caudata.org in order to qualify to write an english language book on the subject, however my main concern is that much of the information will be based on the experiences of others. Many of the TFH herp titles published in the 90's were really bad in part because it was obvious that the author had little to no experience with what was being wriiten about.
Chip

Abrahm

Reaction score

Devin may not post prolifically here, but he does have an online presence on a few other amphibian forums. He tends to spend most of his time discussing anuran care, but he certainly seems to have a lot of knowledge and first hand experience with amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!