Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: Threatened Newts and Salamanders - Captive Care Management Vol. 2

Jake

Reaction score
ISBN: 9783899735727
Edited by Wolf-Rüdiger Grosse (multiple authors)
292 pages
Published October 2018
Available in hardcover from several websites for £59.99-124.99 or, last I checked about $100-170usd

I consider this to be one of the newt keepers' bibles along with Threatened Newts and Salamanders- Guidelines for Conservation Breeding and the book Salamanders Keeping and Breeding (Pasmans, Bogaerts, Janssen and Sparreboom). What I like most about this book is how in depth it gets because the species accounts have different authors and most are written by people who have not only successfully kept them but also had success getting them to breed in their care. It's not one of those general care guides written by some guy who doesn't and probably hasn't kept most of the animals and writes care guides for every animal under the sun, we know a jack of all trades is master of nothing. Each species account goes into detail on taxonomy, description, habitat, reproduction, feeding, care in a terrarium/aquarium, protection status and guidelines for encouraging captive breeding. Even if you are illiterate you can at least enjoy the pretty pictures. There is an excellent chapter toward the end on diseases of salamanders and treatments that covers around 30 salamander afflictions with some graphic photos that will send shivers up your spine, give you the willies and you won't sleep for weeks, guaranteed!

I look forward for Volume 3 and beyond!

Attachments

• Threatened Newts and Salamanders.jpg
    Threatened Newts and Salamanders.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 915
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1