Bowl Feeding

Valentinas Dadd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Valentina's Daddy
I have tried searching for this topic and cannot find one to answer my questions.

What exactly is bowl feeding? I have a 20 gallon tank long that is like 30 inches long and 12-14" high and deep. I like to keep it fully filled because of the over the back filter I use. So how do I accomplish bowl feeding here? Is it as simple as putting a feeding bowl in the tank and placing food in the bowl?

Yes, that is what you do.

In my experience, the food won't stay in the bowl - the axie will knock it out. But at least it contains it a bit better than nothing.

I have sand and don't like putting the food on the sand. (The axies seem to not like snapping it off the sand.) I have a small square plate in a corner to put food on.

I actually just got bowls for my guys after feeding them in jars for a long time, I have sand and the bowl I got was one of those in set bowls that people use to give water to reptiles, almost looks like an in ground pool and then I just set the food in there. So yes, put the bowl in the tank and then the food in the bowl.

I put a slate on top of the sand. Easy to clean and big area to eat from. I have extras off my roof

At this point I just silicone in dividers for a plant less feeding area whenever I setup a new tank, I think it's really useful cause the food can't get out very easily and all of my newts now know to go there for food, I have yet to make one for the axolotl yet though

^ Thosenewtstho, Could you possibly show a picture of what you mean? That sounds so interesting! I feel really dumb but I'm a very visual person, thanks!

This would have to be done days before adding water though, as the silicone will take time to cure, mine cured in less than 2 days but I left it untouched for an extra day just incase, the front can be left barebottomed of desired.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423512715.728262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423512715.728262.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 302
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423512733.878730.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423512733.878730.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 368
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back