Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Breeding help

bunny18

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time with my two babies, I've been raising my first since she was only three weeks old. She's almost two now and around the time she was 18 months I got her a tank mate. I was positive she was male so I got a male. Turns out I was wrong, and ended up with eggs. The first batch I culled and five weeks later she laid another batch. I don't want to separate them, but I don't have the heart to keep culling eggs every month or so. They're so cute together is there anything else I can do besides dividing the tank?

(I'm worried about selling the eggs, I want the best for them and I can't guarantee that when I send them to someone I don't know)

Creepella

Reaction score
I'm afraid that separation is the only way you'll stop them breeding.

Yup. I was scouring the tank for spermatophores every day and removing them with a turkey baster, but I'm guessing my females found them before I did, because I'm raising a tank full of larvae now.

As soon as I can get another tank that's big enough (10 gal?), I'm moving my male to it and leaving the girls in the bigger tank.

onecrazyredhead

Reaction score
Let them get it on! Plenty of people who would pay you for overnight shipping for eggs and I sure someone can tell you the best way to ship the eggs also.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I've read that too-frequent breeding is bad for the mother's health, and I believe it. So even if one wants to have eggs to sell, it is still best to separate the sexes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!