Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Paddletails?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this subject for a while now, as Otterwoman says, there are threads where eggs have been laid and accounts of success with the youngsters, but I have been unable to find a single picture of any larvae, morphs or juveniles, either on here or on the 'web in general. Pachytriton are apparently farmed in Asia somewhere, but again, I can't find any actual pictures or details in English.

zhanggeer

Reaction score
I've been wondering about this subject for a while now, as Otterwoman says, there are threads where eggs have been laid and accounts of success with the youngsters, but I have been unable to find a single picture of any larvae, morphs or juveniles, either on here or on the 'web in general. Pachytriton are apparently farmed in Asia somewhere, but again, I can't find any actual pictures or details in English.

1.Breeding Paddletails need low temprature
2.There is no farmed paddletail in China. All of them are wild. In some place my here, their amount is great.
3.It's a pity that I have never seen any larvae, even a picture.
4.In some places, when larvae finish metamorphosis, them will go on land for a period time.

This Paddletails was found by my friend in grass at Tianmu mountain.

Attachments

• 666.JPG
    666.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 218

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, first one I've ever seen, they look a lot like Cynops at that age!
There might have been pictures with the old threads on here at one time, but not hosted on caudata.org, so if there was they've gone forever now.
I guess I should have just asked on here rather than waste hours blindly searching the 'net. Thanks for posting! :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
they have been bred by Louise Selfridge more than once.she wrote about it on Caudata culture

Are you sure that's Pachytriton? I've read her account of breeding Paramesotriton hongkongensis, was there an article on paddletails as well?

Cfigliola

Reaction score
I'm getting a male paddletail soon which I will put with m female. Hes's a proven breeding but his female died so I'll be taken them on and trying to get some CB out there!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a lot of room, vegetation and a lot of hides. Even a couple that has been together a long time can turn on each other. And if they do happen to lay, move the male to another tank!

zhanggeer

Reaction score
Wow, first one I've ever seen, they look a lot like Cynops at that age!
There might have been pictures with the old threads on here at one time, but not hosted on caudata.org, so if there was they've gone forever now.
I guess I should have just asked on here rather than waste hours blindly searching the 'net. Thanks for posting! :)

This pic is more shocked.
It's the terricolous period of Paddletails.
It was treated as a new species and paper was published.
Actually it's a academic joke.
Put them into water, few days later, there is no difference with normal Paddletails.

Attachments

• 111111111111.JPG
    111111111111.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 228

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So in nature, it's possible for them to leave the water if need be, or is the animal in the picture an immature specimen? It's amazing how so little info is available about these common pet trade species.

zhanggeer

Reaction score
So in nature, it's possible for them to leave the water if need be, or is the animal in the picture an immature specimen? It's amazing how so little info is available about these common pet trade species.

I feel confused too.
Maybe they're too common.
No one want to study them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!