Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding T. Dobrogicus

Joop

Reaction score
I have some t. dobrogicus and am interested in breeding them. I've read that getting them to hibernate is the most natural (thus healthy) way to get them in breeding mode. However some forums speak of 'spontaneous breeding' in captivity. I would have some trouble with cooling the tank, as it is very large and consists of a land and water part. Would it be wise to leave the temperature as it is and just change the lighting period (making it shorter to match outside)? Or is getting them to hibernate a must?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say getting them under 10ºC for at least a month or two is pretty much a must. Sure, they might breed without that cooling period, but it's not likely, and the results will definitely not be the same, the males will barely develop their crests and the females are likely to lay significantly fewer eggs.
A long cooling period, along with a good diet, is the surest way to ensure breeding and particularly to ensure A LOT of breeding.
If you can't cool the entire tank by moving it somewhere else, you could put the newts in a box full of moss and into the fridge. That works aswell.

By the way, you should reconsider the way your tank is set-up, a terrestrial area is typically a waste of space for this species, a piece of cork bark should be more than sufficient.

Joop

Reaction score
Allright ill get onto that! Thanks a lot!

Joop

Reaction score
I have a smaller terrarium which i could put them in, and i could get that terrarium some place cooler, should i give them lots of land with a water bowl or just put them in water, cool that and let them bury in the substrate?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1