Breeding Theloderma corticale (Vietnamese mossy frogs)

YGDS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all. I've been in possession of a breeding pair of T. corticale for a little over a couple months now and I must separate them if they continue to breed for another month or so, to prevent burnout of the female. All that being said, despite a steady stream of eggs (over 100 by this point), all have been infertile, turning cloudy within a week and showing no developing embryos.

I have a few ideas as to why this is:
1. The male isn't properly fertilizing the eggs.
2. The water is inhospitable to the germplasm or developing embryos. (e.g. sperm dies before fertilizing the egg).
3. The female is inexperienced and doesn't properly lay her eggs.

For 1, I am trying to acquire another breeding pair to hopefully stimulate the mating behaviour of the male through competition with another male. 3 I can't really solve except by waiting for her to do better.

That leaves 2, which is a big question for me. Currently I fill the bottom of their enclosure with 4" of dechlorinated tap water 2 Indian olive leaves and some alder cones for tannins. I also installed a filter after a couple months to help keep the water from turning muddy. I change 50% of the water every 2 weeks, remove waste and dead feeders daily and only replace water with aged dechlorinated tannin rich water I prep in advance. I keep humidity above 80% by misting occasionally again with matured tannin rich water. Temperature is always 22.0 C. Do I need to use spring water instead as a base? Water quality where I am from is really good, but that might not be enough. Not sure what to do, and experienced advice would be welcome.

I've been through a lot of documents trying to solve the problems but almost none address the possibility of inclement water. While I think the most likely reason is that the male needs more active stimulation, I'd like to know if that is the most likely reason, or whether there are other bases to cover before I invest in more frogs. Thanks to anyone who can help.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Mine lay eggs on moss covered wood above the water line. I keep them cool. I feed the adults vitamin and calcium dusted crickets. If they are immediately infertile I would look into nutritional and heat problems. Adding another male couldn't hurt.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

YGDS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks Michael, that's helpful. I think investing in some moss would be helpful as a substrate for them to lay in. I am also considering changing the vitamins I use to something like dendrocare, as I've also wondered if the vitamins I'm using have the right balance for frogs. I've also been considering some stress related factors, as the last two clutches that were laid weren't cohesive, but scattered about the enclosure. That being said, they've been becoming gradually more and more voracious since I purchased them. What temperature do you keep them at if you don't mind my asking?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I keep them at room temp. Over the winter they are about 62F to 68F. In summer they are about 68F to 74F. The eggs seem to do better at cooler temps.

YGDS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks again Michael. That's good, since I live in a basement suite and the temps are very stable around that same regime. Also, checked into their enclosure today and found two fertile eggs, the tadpoles inside are occasionally wriggling around, so I'm pretty hopeful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Hello, I need some help please ASAP. All bets are closed. I just posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Under sick axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • HakuandCoral:
    Do all impacted axolotls float? I'm worried about my two juvenile axolotls as they both have bloated stomachs and I have some plant substrate in my tank. The substrate is very small and breaks apart easity but could this still cause impaction? They are not floating at all and still eat a lot. I've been feeding them bloodworms.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • SunnyAxies:
    I have a question, I’m looking into getting one or two Axolotls and I don’t know if I should just get one or get two. Planning to get them as eggs.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @SunnyAxies, It honestly depends on how much space you have. Two axolotls in the same aquarium would need a minimum of 30 gallons. (at an adult size) If you end up with opposite genders, you would need two 20 gal tanks. Males and females can't be kept together since they will breed and overbreeding the female is harmful to her body. Another factor would be if you think both eggs would survive. Sometimes axolotls hatch with defects and either die or should be euthanized to prevent them from living an uncomfortable and/or stunted life. It's sad, but it's for the good of the animal.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys I need help relatively fast
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    I made a huge error, I’m about to cry because I don’t know why I was so stupid. I decided to clean the sponge and other stuff in my filter while I left the filter running. (I took out the parts in the filter to swish around in dirty tank water). Bc I left the filter running, all the gross stuff at the bottom of the filter filled into my axolotl tank. My tank is like brown now. I was trying to unclog something in my filter cuz it wasn’t running right and idk why I left it on I literally don’t know. I tried to take a bunch of water out snd replace it with fresh water but it’s STILL brown.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    also my filter is like not running right. It’s not a consistent flow it’s more like little droplets of water. :( I’m so confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Is the stuff in my tank gonna harm my lotl? Should I just let the filter clear it up? I’m confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Seems to be clearing up slightly with the filter running. Axie is okay also no signs of distress or anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • MorganeW:
    Hello! New caretaker of a paddletail who is supposedly 24, and seems to have been poorly cared for. Supposedly was fed earthworms or redworms, but every time I've pet-sat for her, she just chomped at the worm once or twice and left it, to be removed a day or two later. Now I have a bigger, clean tank and have been trying mainly frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, thawed with spring water and fed with a dropper. She ignores bloodworms, goes for the brine shrimp eagerly, but seems to spit a lot out, and ignore most. I'm not sure I can make myself chop up worms (😳) but I want to help her. She also regurgitated an inch-long, seemingly stiff, straight, dried up bloodworm! I don't even know where that came from!!! All help appreciated. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alyssamuniz06:
    Hello anyone that can help! I’m a breeder and was wondering how to make pellets as well as salmon pellets! I’ve seen some recipes around but they contain crickets which I thought were no good for axolotls because of the chitin. The amount taht I have devours 2 pounds of pellets in a week 😂 so any help would be great. There was another lin las well for two other pellets but I’m not sure if it lets me open it because I am in the Us?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Gis has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Camnp97:
    @MorganeW, Where are you located with that paddletail?
    +1
    Unlike
  • BluFreya:
    Hi guys,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Hey guys.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m looking for another fire Sal. Any available at the moment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I also want to get a Kaiser newt! 👏🏽
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kstimson97:
    I have had an axolotl hatch from its egg it's Friday today and they were only laid on Saturday this little lotl has appeared to lose its egg sack and is swimming in like a circle every now and then is this normal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM
    +1
    Unlike
    jnerdx: Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM +1