Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breviceps adspersus

caudatious

Reaction score
We found several of these "running" across a stretch of road in central Namibia a couple of years ago. Anyone here know much about Breviceps species? I believe they should have been B. a. adsperus. It's confusing to be driving a tarred road in the Namib desert and see something that looks like a black stone running across the road in your headlights only to find it's a Breviceps! You can see the red Namib sand still stuck to his mug:D

Caudatious
Brevicepsmacrops.jpg

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ornery-looking little fellow. There's a great big hardback book on African Frogs and Toads available on Amazon - it's a recent title, say last 7 years or so. I have it but I didn't take it with me from Ireland to the USA ;( and I can't for the life of me think of the name. It's hard to miss though - it's a beautiful book.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That is so general it sounds like an advertisement, Martin.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure this was on 'Life in cold blood' ..at the time I wondered where I had seen it before.. now I need to remember what was said about it etc.

breviceps

Reaction score
An old post, but yes i think this is a B. adspersus.
B. macrops ranges up into namibia but is found along the coast from near Port Nolloth, SA up until Luderitz, NA
Very neat frogs.
Here is Breviceps macrops from South Africa
brevicepsmacrops2.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!