Photo: Brine shrimp hatching and harvesting tutorial

SuperSteve

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Steve-o
Found this really good website. I think the bloke who runs it is the same one who sold me a couple of mine. Should I be using dechlorinated water? If so then thats where I've been slipping up.

:: Manchester Axolotls ::

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long after hatching are the BBC considered "baby" and suitable for use as food for larvae?

I work in a children's museum and our aquarium staff hatches large numbers of them, but I know they keep the hatched ones for least several days.

It would be great to use these and not have to bother hatching myself, but I am willing to do it at home if they need to be used the same day they are hatched.

Although I have kept axolotls for several years, this is the first time I have had eggs.

I also ordered a starter culture of micro worms and started a daphnia culture today but they are the larger variety, so only the baby daphnia will be suitable until my axolotl babies are a bit more grown up.

mrmiller130

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried the brine shrimp but i just dont feel like it was enough for them so i jumped them up to blood worms as soon as i could.

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another question: What is the best/easiest way to separate the brine shrimp from the unhatched eggs and hatched egg capsules?

ciele02

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just wanted to say a big thank you for your tutorial. It has worked brilliantly and i had everything i needed on hand. It was a lot better than paying the $30-$70 for the kits I've seen! :eek:

LurkDog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the tutorial. This looks pretty easy to follow.

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
any tips on getting the brine shrimp a bit bigger for older babies? like how many days do they need? can the brine shrimp be fed a mix of chrushed algae wafers and yeast?

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Country
United States
The babies are more nutrient rich early on. Just make more babies.

Also, I had an issue with a hatchery set up like this. The non upside down bottle with line running top to bottom wouldn't stir the bottom on the opposite side and eggs would clump and not hatch there.

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
The babies are more nutrient rich early on. Just make more babies.

Also, I had an issue with a hatchery set up like this. The non upside down bottle with line running top to bottom wouldn't stir the bottom on the opposite side and eggs would clump and not hatch there.
last time i hatched brineys i simply took the tube, strung it through a closed portion cup with magnets in it and put it in there
that way the tube was on the bottom in the center with the opening parallel to the floor so a big bubble rose to the surface to stir everything evenly

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine formed a coil around the bottom, but still left a dead spot on the opposite empty side. Had a freak out my second feeding day because I had tested the set up on the upside down set up before they hatched and it was all good. Then the first day I used it to make it fine too. Second patch went to **** in that set up, but I hadn't dumped the first, and it still had some shrimp left, so I managed. Since then I've bought a second kit (could have made it..but it was like $15 and was nice and plastic), and use the two alternating.

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Man, everybody has been saying "great tutorial" and I have to say, it really seems to be. I have had bad luck with them in the past, but the next time I have babies I will do this method, seems like it will work great! Thanks for the great tutorial! :cool: lol.

Aschneider8

Reaction score
Country
United States

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
With your babies- how often are you clearing out the dead brine from their water?
You need to celan out larvae tubs at least daily, but BBS die within about 4 hours in freshwater and need to be removed ASAP. I use a turkey baster to remove most of them after 4 hours.

I use a coarse net and gently pour the entire contents of a tub (larvae, dead BBS, waste and water) through it. The dead BBS, poop and water fall straight through, the larvae are caught in the net and can be transferred to a clean tub.

Momcicle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Momcicle
Thank you for your response. At what age do you usually change them over to blood worms?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
Not opposite exactly. Don't use any iodized salt, use table salt, sea salt etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MelissaKenyon:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could help with our axy, she absolutely loves her food and we've notice tonight after her worms( that she ate in one mouthful) that she ue was struggling to get up to the top for air. She's never done this before, she usually goes up every 5-10 mins or so. She is 6 months old and seems very healthy. Could it be a problem with our water level or water quality or could she just be to full?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
    bearbear_13: She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked... +1