Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brine shrimp hatching dish

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I've seen this hatching dish advertised in a few places and I was wondering what people thought of it? It looks quite handy so I thought I might buy one for when I'm raising larvae in the spring but I felt I would check here. So if anyone has experience with it please let me know how you got on.

Stuart

alexps

Reaction score
i have seen that one on a number of fish sites yhey all seem to like it.If you get it do let me know what you think of it.

Pedro Oliveira

Reaction score
Good morning mate!
I think buying that ''kits'' or whatever its a waste of money...
Not telling its not a good product, but you can make your own hatchery that does the same thing, almost for free... I made one carefully, (yes, because I dont like to spend money, but I like to make things as perfect as I can) with a valve and so, when open the valve the BBS goes all without any effort thougt a net I made too for collecting them.

Im now making experiencies on how to grow them... trying diferent types of foods. Im sick of all these years with them living for 2 days... Im managing to have que same bbs in the hatchery for more than 10 days, and have anoter aquarium with some bigger ones, but not adult yet.

All the best, do it yourself in my opin!

Bette

Reaction score
I have two of these which i purchased from Brine Shrimp Direct, and they each came with a good supply of BBS eggs. These are great for the hobbyist that is raising no more than 25-50 larvae, and i recommend two. That way, you can use them in tandem.
What i really like about this device, is that it keeps the egg shells separate from the BBS. And the built-in sieve is great.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I had one of them about 40 years ago. A 2 liter soda bottle hatchery will give you a much bigger hatch.

Pedro Oliveira

Reaction score
Good morning friends!

Like I said, Im not talking that its not a good product, I know it and it's a product that makes what says in the box, great these days ahaha :D

But what we are trying to say is that you can get same of better efficience with anything else. If you can get your hands in some lab equipment, a separatory funnel will do your job without spend that much and giving that pro touch to your room.

I use 2 types of my homemade hatcheries. the first is a separatory funnel like, and the other is based on the SERA kit.

first usage: about 500ml water. When I wanna BBS I close that valve to stop air and let the shrimps go to bottom. Then I prepair my net under the valve and open it slowly and closing it when I got enough BBS on the net. Connect the air tube again to valve and open it slowly again to get bubbles again. If I want to remove empty shells I siphon top layer of the hatchery only. If I have too many shells I can siphon all water to another bottle, close the valve as soon as all BBS goes out.

Second bottle usage: about 200ml water. its basic the same but works on the air pump and not gravity. With this hatchery bottom you have more tendency to have more deposit in bot, but just increase air flow and it will be no problem. This bottle have two holes. One is the bubbling sistem, the green tube, that is connected to a rigid tube (in my case its the body of a pen) and the other hole have another bit of transparent tube, this is obviously for the air not acomulate in the bottle. When I want BBS just disconect the air pumb from the green tube and conect it to the transparent one, that will reverse the sistem and makes artemia climb the green tube draining it continuously to a net in front of it.

One more thing, all sellers claim on light and a lamp only for them. I dont care too much about them, I give when I can, but they like light very much for sure! so that all black hatchery will do the trick if you wanna them to stay alive more time?... I dont know

All the best, sorry for the long text and bad written

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1