Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

british native newts

niajetze

Reaction score
I was speaking to my father last night about the legality of collecting different native species around the world & mentioned that all british ones are protected and cannot be collect without permission. He was shocked due to how common they all where when he was a kid and told me that when he was young he used to go to cere* (thought best not to but the whole name of the place down) in the winter and they would collect a type of d bellied newt from a muddy pool there he said in the winter it would be a muddy pool and there where hundreds of them every where but that in the summer it would be a dried up bed and you could not find one any where.....sounded very interesting to me ....any way I am going to con him into taking me there if I can (if they are still there it might well be protected or a sssi so I need to check) I will keep you updated and possibly bring back photos as a souvineer (as long as it doesnt desturb them) I showed him pics and it turned out that he had actull seen all three naives there at some stage.

rigsby

Reaction score
the only totally protected species is the great crested newt you would be allowed to collect the other two species which are smooth and palmate but if you are please be certain you know all of their requirements and have the tank or viv set up beforehand..

niajetze

Reaction score
nope all british amphibians in all phases of the life cycle are protected under the wildlife & country side act 1981 ....... I asked the local wildlife and environment officer for the police - - always handy to do if you think you are treading on thin ice and he was very helpful.

rigsby

Reaction score
All brittish wildlife are protected in some way but as regards newts its only the great crested newt that are totally protected. You can collect palmate and smooth but you aren't allowed to sell them ,i would check again..

niajetze

Reaction score
ok have spent all last night reading . . . . zzzzz. Crested have full protection which is exactly what it sounds like you are right the other two newts can be kept as long as the collector remains the owner (basicly) so school boys can rest at ease knowing they can still collect tadpoles . . . . . I am surprise a coppa whose job it is to know this stuff got it wrong.... but i suppose it is best to stay on the side of caution. I will not be collecting any whilst I am there any way would feel too guilty.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ian is quite right.

With regard to amphibians and the W&C Act, it basically says that Bufo calamita and Triturus cristatus are protected from everything (collection, disturbance, sale). As far as the collector is concerned, the rest are only protected from collection for commercial purposes. Indeed, sale of captive bred offspring from wild caught animals is still not legal, if memory serves - it has to be the next generation after that.

Caleb Leeke has a great site in the UK and he details the legalities regarding each species if you want to know more.

TristanH

Reaction score
Hi All,

The above posts are quite right - Great Crested Newts and Natterjacks receive strict protection as regards the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

If you are interested in seeing UK amphibians in their native habitat, you could try contacting Froglife, who can probably point you in the direction of local groups.

Natterjacks are really threatened in the UK and should on no account be disturbed. They are largely restricted to sand dunes anyway, and are the subject of reintroduction programmes in North Wales.

Great Crested Newts are failry widespread and can be locally abundant. However, the UK holds the largest population in the world, and they are vulnerable.

The other native amphibians are pretty widespread and often colonise garden ponds. If you are interested in the distributions of any of these species, try looking on the National Biodiversity Network www.searchnbn.net

Tristan

niajetze

Reaction score
v interesting about the 'natterjaacks' so I looked them up - I know talacre its a sssi probably because of these little guys... am a bit confused though as saw these little guys on a beach in anglesey when I was about 12 I remember because they were different from the normal toads/frogs I had in the back garden & I thought it odd as the time I will have to ask the parents what beach that was. I think I am quite lUcky to live here in north wales from an amphib watching perspective :). I was able to go to the newt site last weekend my dads mate (who owns the land apparently) wasnt in to accompany us next time i SEE HIM i WILL BRIBE HIM WITH BEER!!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw natterjack toads last summer in a different county, , I was about to say where it was but thought better of it. I was at the time really chuffed to see them, but now I am really chuffed, lovely little amphibians.

Thanks for the link Tristan..will look at it tomorrow!

slippery42

Reaction score
Natterjack Toads

I saw natterjack toads last summer in a different county, , I was about to say where it was but thought better of it. I was at the time really chuffed to see them, but now I am really chuffed, lovely little amphibians.

I thought I'd make this my first posting on this forum.

Natterjacks are great to work with... I am fortunate enough to be licensed to handle these toads and work on a number of projects.

Here is a male from last year (hope this loads ok if not let me know)

175339765-L.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1