Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Broken or dislocated arm

Odonnellme

Reaction score
Hi all. My approx 9 month old axolotl ("Noodle") is holding his arm against his side and not using it. Still active and eating though. He's alone in his tank so I think he may have gotten his arm caught in the filter intake but I didn't see what happened.

Is there anything I should do for him right now? Stress or pain relief? I dont see any fungus. First time axolotl owner here, just got him for Christmas, so any advice would be awesome.

Also, he eats like 3 nightcrawlers a day and would probably eat more if I let him. From what I read that sounds excessive for his age. But he doesnt look too fat, body is proportionate to head, and would definately eat more if I'd let him...

Lastly, this guy is ACTIVE. I barely ever catch him on the bottom of the tank. He doesnt walk on the sand, he only swims, usually near the top. Today is the first time I've seen him spend much time near the bottom, presumably from his injury. He has a cave but I never see him in it lol. He also loves to swim into the water flowing out of the filter. Just different behavior than what I've read is "normal"...

Attachments

• 20210306_002943.jpg
    20210306_002943.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
  • 20210306_002911.jpg
    20210306_002911.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • 20210306_002846.jpg
    20210306_002846.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • 20210306_002336.jpg
    20210306_002336.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 20210306_002326.jpg
    20210306_002326.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • 20210306_001944.jpg
    20210306_001944.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • 20210306_001900.jpg
    20210306_001900.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Hi all. My approx 9 month old axolotl ("Noodle") is holding his arm against his side and not using it. Still active and eating though. He's alone in his tank so I think he may have gotten his arm caught in the filter intake but I didn't see what happened.

Is there anything I should do for him right now? Stress or pain relief? I dont see any fungus. First time axolotl owner here, just got him for Christmas, so any advice would be awesome.

Also, he eats like 3 nightcrawlers a day and would probably eat more if I let him. From what I read that sounds excessive for his age. But he doesnt look too fat, body is proportionate to head, and would definately eat more if I'd let him...

Lastly, this guy is ACTIVE. I barely ever catch him on the bottom of the tank. He doesnt walk on the sand, he only swims, usually near the top. Today is the first time I've seen him spend much time near the bottom, presumably from his injury. He has a cave but I never see him in it lol. He also loves to swim into the water flowing out of the filter. Just different behavior than what I've read is "normal"...
There's really not much you can do. I know you said he's using it again, so that's good. They heal pretty quick.

As far as behavior goes, I have a female that does some of those same things and it's totally normal behavior for her. Whats normal for some is unusual for others. They each have their own little personalities.

I would probably back off on the food a little though. Cut the amount down or feed every other day. What temperature is your tank? Temp has a big effect on metabolism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1