Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

broken-striped newts

slowfoot

Reaction score
Thanks! I think they just follow the typical newt strategy of 'eat anything that moves'. When I first put food in, they go crazy and almost nothing gets eaten, but eventually they settle down and start scavenging for every little scrap.

I have to be careful not to put too much in at once because they will seriously overeat.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds typical to me xD
My adult newts behave just the same way, although the kings of feeding frenzy are my Cynops orientalis when they are hungry(something that i can hardly imagine happening).

Have i said how much i like your newts?? Yes...i probably have :p

slowfoot

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments :D Yeah, I'm surprised they've lasted this long - they made it through my angsty teenage years, and through wild times in college...

Here's a short video of Sneaky, their son (or daughter - I'm not really sure, but I think of him as a boy). He's just over a year old and he's gotten so big: over two inches! Sorry for the poor quality.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MHA03CvK6nU

slowfoot

Reaction score
I took a couple of shots of the male amplexing one of the females the other day. I think the poor girls are ready for a break. Luckily, courtship is starting to taper off.

mar13_amplex.JPG

mar13_amplex2.JPG

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
He´s so cute...
I can´t wait for the day i´ll see one of my juvenile C.orientalis behave like a teenager xD
I love this post Erin, your dorsalis are so pretty it hurts....keep posting!

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
What a wonderful tank. I hope to build something like this soon. just as soon as I get this whole newt thing I'm new to this.

slowfoot

Reaction score
We've been moving house, so I haven't had much of a chance to post anything for a while. But I took some shots yesterday to make up for it :p

First, the parental newts at feeding time. It's almost impossible to take good shots of them because it's just a blur of eating:

apr29_1.JPG
apr29_2.JPG
apr29_4.JPG

And here's Sneaky! He gave me quite a scare when he decided not to eat for 3 months and dedicate his life to dancing instead. Apparently, it was the wrong career choice because he's back to eating like a champ. He's a little skinnier than he used to be, but still handsome.

apr29_3.JPG

Since moving to our new place, I've had a problem with aphids living on my water plants :mad:

apr29_5.JPG

I don't have any good eft pictures right now, but all seem to be doing well.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I too had aphids in my floating plants. They became so abundant that their shedded skins littered the surface. They were good for the morphs though xD.
Your newts are looking as cute as always :) I just had one of my N.v.viridescens go aquatic(he/she went right into the water and hasn´t left yet), and he is already showing the "there´s something moving!" frenzy xD.

AU SalamanderRG

Reaction score
You have some REALLY SWEET NEWTS. What are the conditions they're living at? (IE Temp, feeding rate and kinds of food, etc)

slowfoot

Reaction score
Update time :D Here are some pictures of newts looking stupid - i.e., begging for food:

july22_1.JPG

july22_2.JPG

The male newt has some really buggy eyes - he reminds me of Beaker, the muppet:

july22_3.JPG

july22_4.JPG

july22_5.JPG

I apologize for the scummy looking water - it's hot here, so it's a constant struggle to keep the tank cool and clean.

eta: Oops! Forgot to add that Sneaky, their son, is doing well:

july22_9.JPG

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Glad to see Sneaky and the parents are doing! The first picture of the male is definitely my favorite!

Thanks for the pics

Mitch

slowfoot

Reaction score
Little update :D

Everyone is doing well - it's still hot as heck here, but we're coping. Big eft is getting... bigger. She's always out begging for food. She's also pretty much adult sized now:

DSC01608.JPG

Sneaky is good also - still too small to put in with his parents, though. Here's a blurry picture because he never stops moving:

DSC01606.JPG

Short video of the parental newts at feeding time:

YouTube - newts going crazy

Thanks for looking!

slowfoot

Reaction score
I took more pictures today, so I thought I'd post some up :eek:

First, the parental newts and their residence:

DSC01629.JPG DSC01637.JPG DSC01630.JPG

I'm still having a blue-green algae problem, but I'm hoping it will clear up when it finally gets colder here.

I cleaned the efts' enclosure yesterday. Everyone (who is still alive :() is looking nice and fat. The paper towel is the worm feeding area:

DSC01622.JPGDSC01623.JPGDSC01624.JPG

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!