Broken Test Strips?

G

genevieve

In my two years with Milo I've never had a water problem until I got some new strips today. My readings have always been normal, but now I'm getting:

Ph: 7.6 (normal)
Ammonia: 0 (normal)
Nitrate: 0 (normal)
Nitrite: 10 ppm (What?!)

Any ideas on this one? I switched to the Jungle strips if that helps. Thank you!

are you sure you didnt get nitrite and nitrate mixed up? cause its more normal to have 10ppm with nitrate. i suspect your new kits are off, do you have access to another test kit (ie LFS tests it) to see what the readings are on that one? they can vary quite a bit between brands but theres a serious problem if the nitrite reading is true (and i think your axie would be showing signs of it), if it turns out there isnt any nitrite get your money back!

I quadruple checked that I didn't mix up the nitrate and nitrite readings and I had it right, but I just realized the strips expired a year ago. Maybe that's what's wrong, lol...

could very well be lol, let us know what the real readings are haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back