Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Broken toes/fingers?

MyLittleComet

Reaction score
So when I got Meteor, he was already an adult and his back left foot had two nubs for toes along with two normal pointed ones, missing a fifth.
Now, his right back foot has two nubs in addition to three pointed, and his right hand also has a numb. I noticed last night that he had little fluffs of fungus on his hands and feet and have just given him a salt bath (he has holtfreters solution in his tank too)
Im wondering- how is this happening? Why are they breaking in the first place and then not regenerating properly?
He has no tank mates aside from snails. His parameters are normal. I have however noticed that he digs up the sand. I dont see him do it, but he digs it up at the front of the tank so it slopes down. Why would he be digging? Neither of my other lotls do this. I've attached pictures of him and his tank set up

Attachments

• 20221130_235920.jpg
    20221130_235920.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 20221130_235924.jpg
    20221130_235924.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 20220918_200501.jpg
    20220918_200501.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69

wolfen

Reaction score
what variation of holtfreters are you using?
your sand may not be suitable for axolotls, if it is too course then he can quite easily be wearing down his toes digging and walking on it, unlike adult terrestrial forms of salamander larval salamander forms have very delicate digits which are easily damaged.

MyLittleComet

Reaction score
what variation of holtfreters are you using?
your sand may not be suitable for axolotls, if it is too course then he can quite easily be wearing down his toes digging and walking on it, unlike adult terrestrial forms of salamander larval salamander forms have very delicate digits which are easily damaged.
I've been using the recipe found here
The sand is the finest grain aquarium sand i could find. Should I remove it from his tank then?

wolfen

Reaction score
in cases where there is fungal infections holtfreters can be increased to 100% to treat and then just using 50% for health, with holfreters the percentage can be increased and decreased without any issues unless there are plants in the tank.
the original axolotl.org recipe is here Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity which is about the same as https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-s...Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf which also includes the use of magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) as well.
if you axolotl is continuing to wear down his digits it might be better to either remove the sand altogether or replace it with play sand which is a finer grain.

MyLittleComet

Reaction score
in cases where there is fungal infections holtfreters can be increased to 100% to treat and then just using 50% for health, with holfreters the percentage can be increased and decreased without any issues unless there are plants in the tank.
the original axolotl.org recipe is here Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity which is about the same as https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf which also includes the use of magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) as well.
if you axolotl is continuing to wear down his digits it might be better to either remove the sand altogether or replace it with play sand which is a finer grain.
Gotcha. Thank you so much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1